Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie David McRitchie is offline

Default Basic IF function help needed

You should place the L in the formula within double quotes to
indicate that it is text.

There are some laptops evidently that don't have a key to the left
of the number row. Only heard of it once. If that is the case see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#laptops

I think the tendency in laptops now is wider and less height on the
monitor -- so they fit into laptop bags easier or to save manfacturing
costs. .

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message ...
The keyboard combination CTRL+` is used to DISPLAY formulas.
You do have accent grave: it is to the left of 1 on the top row of the 'typewriter' keys.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"jbclem" wrote in message ...
I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44
from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the
cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so
I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc