Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Updating Multiple Spreadsheetssheets

I have a hierarchy of 4 excel spreadsheets that link to one another. WKSHT 1
is the original information that gets changed manually, WKSHT 2 gets its
information and is updated by linking to information in WKSHT 1, WKSHT 3
updates from WKSHT 2, and WKSHT 4 updates from WKSHT 3. My question is, if I
need a current update in WKSHT 4, do I have to manually open up and update
WKSHT 2 and WKSHT 3 to update WKSHT 4 when values have been changed in WKSHT
1? I know that when you open a spreadsheet it automatically updates, but
what if it is linked to another spreadsheet that also has to be updated?
--
KRR
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It does not go back through the chain.
So in order to make it work, you have to make your change in WKSHT1. Then
open WKSHT2 and refresh the link. Then open WKSHT3 and refresh the link. Then
open WKSHT4 and refresh the link.

The question would be if there is any reason why you can't just link WKSHT4
directly to WKSHT1, or even update the data directly on WKSHT4.
--
Allllen

"Kathleen" wrote:

I have a hierarchy of 4 excel spreadsheets that link to one another. WKSHT 1
is the original information that gets changed manually, WKSHT 2 gets its
information and is updated by linking to information in WKSHT 1, WKSHT 3
updates from WKSHT 2, and WKSHT 4 updates from WKSHT 3. My question is, if I
need a current update in WKSHT 4, do I have to manually open up and update
WKSHT 2 and WKSHT 3 to update WKSHT 4 when values have been changed in WKSHT
1? I know that when you open a spreadsheet it automatically updates, but
what if it is linked to another spreadsheet that also has to be updated?
--
KRR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks - I have WKSHT 2 sum cells, then WKSHT 3 sums cells and adds different
#'s and so forth. WKSHT 4 takes those "summed" cells and redistributes them
into a report we need. (ie. we have 10 stores, with 10 vendors. I need to
keep track of what each store does with each vender on a monthly, quarterly
and annualized basis. Each store is in charge of updating their own monthly
folder for each vendor. Stores have a Jan folder, Feb folder, etc.. I need
totals from all the stores for: the stores and the vendors.) Any other
suggestions
--
KRR