Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formatting cells

I'm using Excel 2002. I've created a spreadsheet of my weightlifting
workouts--dates, exercises, and in the cells, the number of sets I perform
with the number of repetitions. For instance, cells have numbers like 2-12,
2-9, 3-12, indicating two or three sets of 9 or 12 repetitions. The problem
is that I'm formatting the cells as general, but I'm still getting a green
triangle in the upper left cell corner, and when I hold the cursor over the
cell, the yellow exclamation point appears, asking me if I want to ignore
the formatting error. In some cells that I think I've already formatted, my
numbers turn to "###." I want to enter the numbers as plain text with no
other formatting. What am I doing wrong?

Also, what's the formatting difference between "general" and "text"
formatting?

Thanks. --Arthur