Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Double click xlsname in explorer doesn't work.

My recent foray into automating excel via its com interface went fine as far
as the program is concerned. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way I've
messed up its ability to function interactively from my desktop. In
particular, when I double click on a xls file in Windows explorer, excel
starts up with the message "Windows cannot find "+ the name of the xls in
question or a similar dialog with a "Microsoft Excel" caption which reads
"<xyz could not be found. Check... ", where xyz is a garbled form of the
name of the directory in which the xls in question resides. I can eventually
open the files in question via File-Open, but I'd like to get everything
back to the way it was.
TIA
-Lew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Lew

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP