Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Inserting space in between formulas

I put in a formula to combine a string of words with numbers and would like a
space or dash to go in between. How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Boo Boo is offline

=A1 & " " & B1

or

=A1 & " - " & B1

Where,

A1 = First part of text (or numbers)
B1 = Second part of text (or numbers)

Substitute A1 / B1 with the relevant cells in your spreadsheet

"Mary" wrote:

I put in a formula to combine a string of words with numbers and would like a
space or dash to go in between. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, that worked great! Now I want to delete the column that references
that formula, but I get "ref" in the column that I put the formula. Is there
a way to delete that column but still keep my formula intact?

"Mary" wrote:

I put in a formula to combine a string of words with numbers and would like a
space or dash to go in between. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You cannot delete the original column before changing the formulas to values.

Select the formula column and Copy.

Now, in place, Paste SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Delete original column.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Mary" wrote:

I put in a formula to combine a string of words with numbers and would like a
space or dash to go in between. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes Mary
here it is
Essentially you copy the cell with the formula in it that iscreating the
text values that are linked together.

Then you paste it into a blank cell but only paste the values

Here is how to do that
1 - copy the cell(s)
2 - click in the blank cell
3 - edit -paste special - values - ok

you are done!

enjoy!

"Mary" wrote:

I put in a formula to combine a string of words with numbers and would like a
space or dash to go in between. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dianne

Just for info.

You can paste specialvalues in place.

No need to copy to another cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Mary" wrote:

I put in a formula to combine a string of words with numbers and would like a
space or dash to go in between. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you want to get really fancy you can highlight the area you intend to copy
and then move your cursor to any edge of the range until you get the Compass
Arrows (as if you were going to move the cells). Now right click and drag the
cells to a different range without letting go of the button just drag them
back and let go of the button. You will get a list of options to choose from.
Select Paste Values and you are done all in one simple motion...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson