Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to sort with merged rows

This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I
would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes.
The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this
operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized"
Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the
contact/data info above it together when I use a sort.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Chris wrote:
This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I
would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes.
The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this
operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized"
Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the
contact/data info above it together when I use a sort.

My solution would be to put the notes in as a comment. Simply right
click and select comments. This will bring up a "note pad" and mark
the cell so that you know it has an attached comment.

Another method would be to put the note in the same row as the
contact name.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

But every contact is going to have a lot of data. And every contact will
have notes.
I also want to keep it under one page so I can print it out for review on a
daily basis.
Below is my example.
First row Bob Smith/IRA/Destination/Amount/Address/Phone Number
Second Row- Notes: Bob Smith called to say that he received the paperwork.

"gls858" wrote:

Chris wrote:
This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I
would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes.
The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this
operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized"
Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the
contact/data info above it together when I use a sort.

My solution would be to put the notes in as a comment. Simply right
click and select comments. This will bring up a "note pad" and mark
the cell so that you know it has an attached comment.

Another method would be to put the note in the same row as the
contact name.

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"gls858" wrote:

Chris wrote:
This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I
would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes.
The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this
operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized"
Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the
contact/data info above it together when I use a sort.

My solution would be to put the notes in as a comment. Simply right
click and select comments. This will bring up a "note pad" and mark
the cell so that you know it has an attached comment.

Another method would be to put the note in the same row as the
contact name.

gls858

Where do the merged cells come into this?

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On the top I have all of the contact/data information.
Below that I have a blank merged cell row that I can imput the details.
Even if I don't use the merged cells, I will still have the problem of not
being able to sort the two rows together; right?
I really appriciate your help.

"gls858" wrote:

Chris wrote:
This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I
would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes.
The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this
operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized"
Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the
contact/data info above it together when I use a sort.

My solution would be to put the notes in as a comment. Simply right
click and select comments. This will bring up a "note pad" and mark
the cell so that you know it has an attached comment.

Another method would be to put the note in the same row as the
contact name.

gls858

Where do the merged cells come into this?

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

"Chris" wrote:
.. On the top I have all of the contact/data information.
Below that I have a blank merged cell row that I can imput the details.
Even if I don't use the merged cells, I will still have the problem of not
being able to sort the two rows together

In row2: Bob Smith/IRA/Destination/Amount/Address/Phone Number
In row3: Notes: Bob Smith called to say that he received the paperwork
(merged)

Just venturing some thoughts ..
Assuming the sample data above is in cols A to F, in row2 down ..
Insert a new col A, unmerge & left align the merged cells in cols B to G
Then put in A2: =INT((ROW(A1)-1)/2)+1
Copy A2 down to return a "double numbered row" series: 1,1,2,2,3,3 ...
Kill the formulas in col A with an "in-place" copy paste special values
The double numbered rows would stick together as long as we sort cols A to G
with col A as the 1st sort key ..
--
Max
Singapore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Instead of merging the 2nd row for each record in cols B to G, try "Center
across selection". Select the cells, then Format Cells Alignment tab,
under Text alignment - Horizontal's droplist, select "Center Across
Selection" OK. You could do the above for the "2nd row" of the 1st record
then use the format painter (double-click on the icon, with the
centred-aross-selection cells selected) to paint the format to the rest.