Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Control Tool Box

Hi,

I want to learn how to use the elements (e.g. command button, option button,
combo box etc.) in the control tool box. Can someone point me to some
articles/tutorial? Don't seem to have much luck with help? What is the
control tool box for anyway?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It is a collection of worksheet controls that are event driven. If you
select one and then draw it on a worksheet, double-click the object and you
will be taken to a template event procedure for that control.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Epinn" wrote in message

I want to learn how to use the elements (e.g. command button, option

button,
combo box etc.) in the control tool box. Can someone point me to some
articles/tutorial? Don't seem to have much luck with help? What is the
control tool box for anyway?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, but don't understand "event" at all. Are you talking about VBA,
macro etc.?

I would like to be able to read about some examples.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message

I want to learn how to use the elements (e.g. command button, option

button,
combo box etc.) in the control tool box. Can someone point me to some
articles/tutorial? Don't seem to have much luck with help? What is the
control tool box for anyway?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No, I mean that it responds to events, things that happen. For instance, if
it is a commndbutton, there is a click event associated with it and you can
code that event. A combobox has a click event, but it also has a change
event. You can code to both. Because the controls have programmable events,
it offers greater flexibility.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Epinn" wrote in message

I want to learn how to use the elements (e.g. command button, option

button,
combo box etc.) in the control tool box. Can someone point me to some
articles/tutorial? Don't seem to have much luck with help? What is

the
control tool box for anyway?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Are you talking about VBA, macro etc.?"

Yes and no - an event, as Bob Phillips is some action that takes place such
as a click on a control or a change in the contents of a cell on a worksheet.
Example might be this in response to clicking on a command button:

Sub Command1_Click()
MsgBox "You clicked Command Button 1"
End Sub

If you're going to use the controls right on an Excel sheet, you may want to
look at the Forms toolbar rather than the Control Toolbox. They have similar
groups of controls, but the ones from the Forms toolbar are really created to
integrate with worksheets well: you can set up a cell to 'reflect' what
happened to a control, or which item was selected from a list or combo
box(drop down), and even have lists and dropdowns get their contents from a
group of cells on the worksheets.

Again, as Bob Phillips said, those Forms controls have 'wizards' to make
their set up very easy. Draw a control on the worksheet, right-click on it
and use Format Control to set the properties. And [F1] works great while
doing that.