Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default adding times again

No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

-----------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just checking..
you format it to 00:00:00

I hope you actually mean Time or hh:mm:ss in the Custom option

What do you see in the formula bar at the top when you click on one of
cells in your range?

Re-format that to Time (13:30:55 option)
Does this alter what appears in the cell and on the formula bar ?

Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put in.

of course it wants a range - it needs to know what you want to sum.

Usual set up of a worksheet, if you enter a column of numbers/times etc
then in a cell below these (not necessarily next to the bottom one)
Click on the cell, then the Sigma button
You should get =sum(B5:B15) or whatever your range is - and it should
automatically pick up the block of cells above the cell you are in.

if it doesn't do this then it doesn't think the cells are numeric

So back to the formatting again.

Steve

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:54:44 +0100, B Bear
wrote:

No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

-----------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No it doesn't change when I go to the 13:30:55 option.
Yes I get sum(****)
BB

"SteveW" wrote in message
[...]

wrote:

No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

-----------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No need to get annoyed! If you format as hh:mm:ss, you will be stuck in a 24
hour loop. If you now add 08:30:00, 09:30:00 and 08:00, you will get a total
of 02:00:00. If you format as [h]:mm:ss, you will get 26:00:00. There's a
load of difference between formatting as 00:00:00, hh:mm:ss and [h]:mm:ss

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

-----------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No. Still comes up with 0's.
When I go back to format it shows it as being in time format even though I
set [h]:mm:ss.
calm calm calm!

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

-----------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

[h]... is a Time format, just not on it's normal list

Right, back to basics.
Either work on a copy of the worksheet or *don't save* it after these
changes.

Click on the column with the times and the sum in
Format to general

Remember what these look like
Format the whole column again to Time (13:30:55 option)

Now what do you see in the cells and the sum.

Rememebr the sum may display wrong - we'll deal with that later.

Steve

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range
in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi
Off to work so if I'm a bit slow getting back you know why.
Just did that. In general the sum is just 0.
In time the sum is 00:00:00.
The sum box has the range in it

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range
in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ah! being dim! Just tried it entering new values and no problem. It's when I
use the values entered by Vodafone that it wont take them. Now to find out
why.

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range
in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Went through a selection of Voda values and deleted the first 0 and it
worked. Tell me I don't have to do that for all the values :-(
so ended up with 0:00:12 for instance.

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range
in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

B Bear here my last two posts are displayed wrong way round. Just need to
find out why I can't use the Voda values given and need to delete the first
zero

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range
in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Most likely these values are text, and not actual times. Copy a blank cell,
select your list of times, do a paste special, and select Add. See if that
solves your problem.

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?

"B Bear" wrote in message
No luck so far
-----
Think I just tried that??
And still 00:00
I'm formatting the cells to custom 00:00:00 then in the total box
making
sure that is the same format.
Sigma on the total cell which then seems to want a range of cells put
in.
Click the top cell and highlight down to the lowest puts the range
in.
Enter and 0's.
:-(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Cheers to eeryone for their help.
Got there using...Oh damn forgot! 13: something: something.
But will try the paste special idea.

"B Bear" wrote:

Getting annoyed now!!!
Now where's my base 60 calculator?