Spencer

Default How do i "drag" a formula?

i have an excel worksheet to do and i have been instructed to drad a formula
and i have no idea what that means.

thanks
spencer
Dave Peterson

In most cases, it means to type your formula in a cell (say A1).

Then move your cursor to the bottom right corner of that cell--where you see a
little square like thingy. (Sometimes called the AutoFill button).

Click on that and drag down.

If you rightclick on that autofill button and drag, you'll see a bunch of
options when you release the button.

===
If you don't see that little autofill button, make sure you have drag and drop
enabled.

Tools|options|edit tab|Make sure "allow cell drag and drop" is checked.

--

Dave Peterson
Ken Wright

You can also try double-clicking the little square thingy, and the formula
will autofill down as far as there is contiguous data in the column to the
left of the formula.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

Spencer wrote:

i have an excel worksheet to do and i have been instructed to drad a

formula
and i have no idea what that means.

thanks
spencer

--

Dave Peterson

JulieD

and on my XL 2003 - which totally surprised me!

JulieD

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
You can also try double-clicking the little square thingy, and the

formula
will autofill down as far as there is contiguous data in the column to

the
left of the formula.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission
:-)

Spencer wrote:

i have an excel worksheet to do and i have been instructed to drad
formula
and i have no idea what that means.

thanks
spencer

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Also works on XL 97

Gord

Spencer wrote:

i have an excel worksheet to do and i have been instructed to drad
formula
and i have no idea what that means.

thanks
spencer

--

Dave Peterson

Ken Wright

Something was going nuts somewhere because it works fine on mine now, but I
really really really did try it before posting. I'd screwed up an answer to
another post earlier and was getting paranoid so trying to check everything
before posting. Now I'm even more paranoid!!!!!!!!!! :-)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

<snip

RagDyeR

FWIW,

I believe that this might have *always* been around.

Just tried it on an old XL5.0 WB I dragged out of the archives, and it
worked there.

RD

"Ken Wright" wrote in message
Something was going nuts somewhere because it works fine on mine now, but
really really really did try it before posting. I'd screwed up an answer
another post earlier and was getting paranoid so trying to check
everything
before posting. Now I'm even more paranoid!!!!!!!!!! :-)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

<snip

Ken Wright

LOL - Go on RD, twist the knife in whilst I'm squirming here :-)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

<snip

David McRitchie

Would that five years coincide with either not knowing about
newsgroups or not having access to newsgroups.

Anyway that mouse shortcut is in HELP, but Microsoft products
poorly document mouse shortcuts in general.
For additional mouse shortcuts see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#mouse
Warning: for those who suffer from Musophobia there is an
illustration of a mouse. You can close your eyes while looking
at the page or turn off images.
---
HTH,