Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default referencing a list on seprat tab, then calculate

HI! fellows,
on first tab I have columns that is the days ( of a projected week) of a
construction project.the rows are my employees.
this project was 18 days long and 18 total employees.each day had different
number of workers on site with each worker having different rates .
the other tab has the employees rates adjacent to thier names in a list.
Question is: ( i may need macro but i dont know it well) Under each day of
the project , i would like to put their name in the cell corresponding to the
day they worked and have it refer to its respective rates on the list tab and
then go down to last empty cell under its current column and formulate how
much labor was expended that curent day...can this be done using referencing
or a macro is needed.?Thanks to anyone who helps!! great evening !
mlm dallas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Hazarding some thoughts that what you're after is probably achievable either
via VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH

Try Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage on VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH at her:

VLOOKUP

INDEX/MATCH

There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study
--
Max
Singapore
"rhino.dallas.mlm" wrote:
HI! fellows,
on first tab I have columns that is the days ( of a projected week) of a
construction project.the rows are my employees.
this project was 18 days long and 18 total employees.each day had different
number of workers on site with each worker having different rates .
the other tab has the employees rates adjacent to thier names in a list.
Question is: ( i may need macro but i dont know it well) Under each day of
the project , i would like to put their name in the cell corresponding to the
day they worked and have it refer to its respective rates on the list tab and
then go down to last empty cell under its current column and formulate how
much labor was expended that curent day...can this be done using referencing
or a macro is needed.?Thanks to anyone who helps!! great evening !
mlm dallas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I presume your daily table will consist of total hours per worker.
have a hidden column(prolly b) in first tab for your vlookup for the rates
for your workers,whose names in in col a3 down
this formula will look something like this
=vlookup(a3,Sheet2!$A$1:$b$20,2,false) and copy down.
I would have your total at the top of the sheet so you can just keep adding
workers as you need to
the sumproduct formula for working out your daily total for you first days
work say in c2 will be =sumproduct($B$2:$B$50,c2:c50),copy across for the
number of columns
on the far right have a =sum(C2:c20) or similar to keep a total of days
=sumproduct
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!