Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Why use Subtotals 1-11 instead of the built-in functions directly?

I see the need to use 101-111 for Subtotals; e.g. I want to ignore hidden
values.

But, I don't see why I want to use Subtotals 1-11, instead of using the
built-in functions like average, count, max etc. directly.

I do understand that if I use DataSubtotals, I can later modify the
Subtotals function which may have 1-11.

Please enlighten me. Why would I choose Subtotals 1-11 over a more direct
method? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Epinn wrote:
I see the need to use 101-111 for Subtotals; e.g. I want to ignore hidden
values.

But, I don't see why I want to use Subtotals 1-11, instead of using the
built-in functions like average, count, max etc. directly.

I do understand that if I use DataSubtotals, I can later modify the
Subtotals function which may have 1-11.

Please enlighten me. Why would I choose Subtotals 1-11 over a more direct
method? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Epinn

Remember we can't see your spreadsheet. The above question can't be
answered with the info you provided.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Epinn" skrev i en meddelelse
I see the need to use 101-111 for Subtotals; e.g. I want to ignore hidden
values.

But, I don't see why I want to use Subtotals 1-11, instead of using the
built-in functions like average, count, max etc. directly.

I do understand that if I use DataSubtotals, I can later modify the
Subtotals function which may have 1-11.

Please enlighten me. Why would I choose Subtotals 1-11 over a more direct
method? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Epinn

Epinn

The important difference between Subtotal 1-11 and Subtotal 101 - 111 is,
that Subtotal 1-11 do not work on rows *hidden by filtering*, while
Subtotal 101 - 111 don't work on *any* hidden row (hidden by filtering OR
hidden manually).
The built-in functions you mention works on all rows, hidden or visible.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Remember we can't see your spreadsheet. The above question can't be
answered with the info you provided.

Why do you need a spreadsheet? This is a **general** question to understand
a theory/concept. I have already cited my understanding below. I am asking
for examples as to why I want to use one method over the other. Anyone else
who understands what I am asking, please feel free to contribute.

Thanks.

Epinn

"gls858" wrote in message
Epinn wrote:
I see the need to use 101-111 for Subtotals; e.g. I want to ignore

hidden
values.

But, I don't see why I want to use Subtotals 1-11, instead of using the
built-in functions like average, count, max etc. directly.

I do understand that if I use DataSubtotals, I can later modify the
Subtotals function which may have 1-11.

Please enlighten me. Why would I choose Subtotals 1-11 over a more

direct
method? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Epinn

Remember we can't see your spreadsheet. The above question can't be
answered with the info you provided.

gls858

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Leo,

Thank you so much. You told me exactly what I needed to know but missed.

The help feature talked about 1-11 including hidden values as a result of
formatrowhide but it had no mention of data hidden as a result of
**AutoFilter**.

What a subtle difference that can cause dramatically different effect!

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Epinn

"Leo Heuser" wrote in message
"Epinn" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You're welcome, Epinn.
Thanks for the feedback!

You're right about "Help". It's not very clear
in this situation.

--
Regards
Leo Heuser