Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Daily Racing Form: Horse racing

10 aug 06 1459 hrs.
Greetings..
I am new to site..and to the use of Excel. I have recently started
putting information from the "Daily Racing Form" into an Excel
spreadsheet. I will use this data to work out simple and later complex
formulas for extracting desired data.
I have made cells long enough to hold each field, and there will be a
weekly entry. What I don't understand is how I will search each date
for a particular horse. It seems the formula could get lengthy.
How would I tell the program to search all the entries to a particular
"line"?, or do I just give each entry a "header" name?
Anyone with some good information and tips for this monumental task,
for getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Rick.

--
mehtalmann
mehtalmann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37358

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Just some thoughts for a galloping start to your venture <g ..

If the table is set-up in columns with col headers in row1, then immediately
you could use Data Filter Autofilter to filter the table, for example by
the particular horse's name. Just select the name from the autofilter
droplist under the col header: Horses. That will filter out all the lines
pertaining to that particular horse for your closer inspection

Try Debra's nice intro to autofilter (and more!) at her:
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
--
Max
Singapore