Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Questions on Auto Filter

Hi,

(1) In the "top 10" dialogue box, there is a choice between "items" and
"percent." I understand "items" but not "percent" which may return more or
less rows when chosen.

(2) On the bottom left of the worksheet, it shows "xx of xxx records found"
for one worksheet while it shows "filter mode" for another after a
**similar** process. I wonder why and how can I make the latter worksheet
to show the no. of records found.

(3) If I don't use "custom" I can only see one salesperson or one region or
one student or one product at a time, right? If I use "custom" it will be a
maximum of 2. Let's say if I want to select all the regions in the east, I
probably need to create a column to categorize the regions (e.g. east, west,
north, south) and select that column, right? Is there a shortcut or trick
without creating an extra column?

Appreciate advice.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

1) If there are 50 items in the list, Top 10 items would return 10 items
(or more if there's a tie).
Top 10% would return 5 items (50 * 0.1 = 5)
2) When your list has many formulas, the Status Bar may show "Filter
Mode" instead of a count of the visible records. There are articles in
the Microsoft KnowledgeBase that explain:

XL2000: Excel AutoFilter Status Bar Message Shows "Filter Mode"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213886

XL: AutoFilter Status Bar Message Shows "Filter Mode"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=189479

Instead of subtotal, you could use the AutoCalc feature, which is
workaround #2 shown he
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count

3) There's no shortcut or trick that will allow you to select more than
two items in the Custom dialog box. Adding a column with Region would be
a good option.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Debra,

Thank you very much for your help. I can't believe that I learn so much in
one post. I like your site and will make a point to do a search there first
before I post.

I have to laugh at myself for asking something as simple as "percent." If I
had read "top 10 items" and "top 10 percent" I would not have asked the
question. The problem was when I saw "top 10" I became fixated on the
**10** pieces of data rank highest and then tried to connect/incorporate
"items" to it, no problem. Then when I tried to link "percent" to it, I
scratched my head.

By the way, it is interesting to see the statistics of posters etc.

Cheers,

Epinn