Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default I have two columns 1 & 0 and want to choose those cell with 1 by .

Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=1)*(B1:B6=1))

--
HTH,

RD

"Dr. saeed mohtasham nia" <Dr. saeed mohtasham
wrote in message
Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This can be done two ways since you are dealing with 1's and 0's. I assume
you have two columns with these numbers in them. I will use Columns A & B
and Rows 1-6

1st Way: =COUNTIF(A1:B6,"=1")

2nd Way: Since you are looking for all the 1's, you could also SUM them and
get the same answer: =SUM(A1:B6)

"Dr. saeed mohtasham nia" wrote:

Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

Default I have two columns 1 & 0 and want to choose those cell with 1

If the data is only 1's and 0's:
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6, B1:B6)

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=1)*(B1:B6=1))

--

wrote in message
Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

or even =COUNTIF(A1:B6,1)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"JMB" wrote in message
If the data is only 1's and 0's:
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6, B1:B6)

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=1)*(B1:B6=1))

--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
wrote in message
Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use

countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Some interpretation needed here!

OP's next to last line reads:

<<<"I want to count the cells containing only 1 1 "

Which I *and* JMB take to mean "matching pairs of columns".

With JMB's formula being more concise then my suggestion, until I checked,
It really bothered me that a Countif would *also* perform to *my*
interpretation of the question.

Glad to see that it was your understanding of the problem and not my
ineptitude, where I couldn't recognize a Countif solution as opposed to a
Sumproduct solution.<vbg

You do that to me quite often, where I'm ready to post a suggestion, but you
beat me to it, with a more fitting solution, making me glad that I'm not as
fast as you.

Didn't you mention somewhere that you have files (solutions) saved, where
you just "copy & post"?<bg

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
or even =COUNTIF(A1:B6,1)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"JMB" wrote in message
If the data is only 1's and 0's:
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6, B1:B6)

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=1)*(B1:B6=1))

--
HTH,

RD

-

wrote in message
Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use

countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yeah, but not COUNTIF Rick, those tend to be VBA snippets, more complex
arrays, or verbose wordy explanations.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
[...]

"JMB" wrote in message
If the data is only 1's and 0's:
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6, B1:B6)

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=1)*(B1:B6=1))

--
HTH,

RD

-

wrote in message
Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use

countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

So ... what you're actually (politely) saying is ... You *are* faster!<bg

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
[...]

"JMB" wrote in message
If the data is only 1's and 0's:
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6, B1:B6)

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=1)*(B1:B6=1))

--
HTH,

RD

-

wrote in message
Dear friends: I have two set of data only 1 & 0. and want to use

countif
function
to choose those cells with only 1.
my data is he
1 0
0 1
1 1
0 1
1 0
1 1

I want to count the cells containing only 1 1
please helpme. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It's all timing Rick. Sometimes I am on the NGs and a question pops up,
sometimes elsewhere. Many times you, Biff, Norman Jones, Tom, Dave P et al
beat me too it, but I still like to read the responses, there is always
something to learn. I think it was Ardus that accused me of being the
fastest fingers West of Colorado, seeing as I am about 4,500 miles east of
there, I think he was a bit off

Bob

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
So ... what you're actually (politely) saying is ... You *are* faster!<bg

RD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

fastest fingers West of Colorado, seeing as I am about 4,500 miles east of
there, I think he was a bit off

That just means Far West of Colorado.