Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

Hi Guys,

I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or formula to
enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4 letters
from the original cell.

Cell A1 is Amanda

Cell A2 would be aman

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Linda

in cell A2
=LEFT(A1,4)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Linda RQ" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or
formula to
enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4
letters
from the original cell.

Cell A1 is Amanda

Cell A2 would be aman

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

With 'Amanda' in A1, this formula will rturn 'Aman' in any cell you choose
to enter it,
=LEFT(A1,4)
Regards,
Alan.
"Linda RQ" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or formula
enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4 letters
from the original cell.

Cell A1 is Amanda

Cell A2 would be aman

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Roger and Govier. I was just about to post that I found it. I
couldn't leave work until I did this so I was just looking around and found
that you can click on each function and you get a little explaination of
what it does. Is there a list of functions and what they do all on a page?
Clicking on each one did take a bit if time and there are a lot of functions
in there <g

Linda