-   -   Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/100694-pull-1st-4-letters-another-cell.html)

Linda RQ

Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

Hi Guys,

I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or formula to
enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4 letters
from the original cell.

Cell A1 is Amanda

Cell A2 would be aman

Thanks,
Linda

Roger Govier

Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

Hi Linda

in cell A2
=LEFT(A1,4)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Linda RQ" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or
formula to
enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4
letters
from the original cell.

Cell A1 is Amanda

Cell A2 would be aman

Thanks,
Linda

Alan

Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

With 'Amanda' in A1, this formula will rturn 'Aman' in any cell you choose
to enter it,
=LEFT(A1,4)
Regards,
Alan.
"Linda RQ" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I have cells with a person's name in it. Is there a function or formula
enter in the cell next to that one that will only show the first 4 letters
from the original cell.

Cell A1 is Amanda

Cell A2 would be aman

Thanks,
Linda

Linda RQ

Pull 1st 4 letters from another cell

Thanks, Roger and Govier. I was just about to post that I found it. I
couldn't leave work until I did this so I was just looking around and found
that you can click on each function and you get a little explaination of
what it does. Is there a list of functions and what they do all on a page?
Clicking on each one did take a bit if time and there are a lot of functions
in there <g

Linda