Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Running Macros

I have the following Macro (which I need to run on approximately 200
different workbooks) -- what is the BEST way to achieve this? Should I use
a Function (and if so, what would it look like)?

NOTE: I'm assuming that this Macro should reside in a Module -- but, should
this be run outside of EXCEL (say, from a Form in ACCESS)?

Here's my code:

Does anyone see anything that I may be missing? Here's the MOST important
thing I need this code to do (assuming there are no further modifications
needed) ...

This code (Macro) needs to perform this same task on approximately 200
different Workbooks (all residing in the same Network Directory), but ONLY
when a Command Button is pressed. I'm assuming that I'll need to create a
Form (in ACCESS perhaps) and call this Macro -- correct? How would I do
this, and how would I get this Macro to perform this Link Update on all 200
or so Workbooks?

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim vLinkSources
Dim iLinkSource As Integer
Dim AnySheet As Worksheet
For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name).Unprotect
Password:="mypassword"
Next
vLinkSources = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
If Not IsEmpty(vLinkSources) Then
For iLinkSource = LBound(vLinkSources) To
UBound(vLinkSources)
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink vLinkSources(iLinkSource), xlExcelLinks
Next
End If
For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name).Protect
Password:="mypassword"
Next

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

The body of your macro looks fine to me, as a macro to update the links
in the active workbook (in fact I think I recognise some of the
code<g).

But it shouldn't be Workbook_Open.
No need to involve Access.
You can run the macro from Excel.
Tools / Macro / Run

But first, put it in a normal module in a workbook of your choosing.
Change it from
Private Sub Workbook_Open
Sub UpdateActiveWorkbookLinks()

And then add a procedure that will cycle through the workbooks you need
to update. It might look something like this:

Sub ProcessXLSFilesInDirectory()
Dim aFiles() As String, iFile As Integer
Dim stFile As String, vFile As Variant
Dim stDirectory As String

' first build an array of the files and then process them
' this is because you may upset the Dir function if you save a file

stDirectory = "D:\TEMP\" ' name of directory to look in
' use Dir function to find XLS files in Directory
stFile = Dir(stDirectory & "*.XLS")
If stFile = "" Then Exit Sub ' no files to process
Do While stFile < ""
' add to array of files
iFile = iFile + 1
' add one element to the array
ReDim Preserve aFiles(1 To iFile)
aFiles(iFile) = stFile
stFile = Dir() ' gets next file
Loop

' now process the files
For Each vFile In aFiles
Workbooks.Open stDirectory & vFile
UpdateActiveWorkbookLinks
Workbooks(vFile).Close saveChanges:=False
Next vFile

End Sub

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Bill -- I'm getting an error at the Password Line -- any thoughts? Here's
what I have:

(2) Modules ... ******When I run the code, I get Error Message "Compile
Error: Syntax Error"******

Module #1
Password:="mypassword" (******for some reason, this line appears in
RED******)
For iLinkSource = LBound(vLinkSources) To (******for some
reason, this line appears in RED******)
UBound(vLinkSources) (******for some reason, this line appears in
RED******)
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink vLinkSources(iLinkSource), xlExcelLinks
Next
End If
For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name).Protect
Password:="mypassword" (******for some reason, this line appears in
RED******)
Next
End Sub

Module #2
Sub ProcessXLSFilesInDirectory()
Dim aFiles() As String, iFile As Integer
Dim stFile As String, vFile As Variant
Dim stDirectory As String

' first build an array of the files and then process them
' this is because you may upset the Dir function if you save a file

stDirectory = "E:\AL1403 05-06\" ' name of directory to look in
' use Dir function to find XLS files in Directory
stFile = Dir(stDirectory & "*.XLS")
If stFile = "" Then Exit Sub ' no files to process
Do While stFile < ""
' add to array of files
iFile = iFile + 1
' add one element to the array
ReDim Preserve aFiles(1 To iFile)
aFiles(iFile) = stFile
stFile = Dir() ' gets next file
Loop

' now process the files
For Each vFile In aFiles
Workbooks.Open stDirectory & vFile
UpdateActiveWorkbookLinks
Workbooks(vFile).Close saveChanges:=False
Next vFile

End Sub

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

"Bill Manville" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

You've been the victim of line breaks inserted in the original longer
lines.

Each of the items in red should have the next line appended to it ( or
end it with space underscore so that the next line is treated as a
continuation