Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Remove checkmark on "Update links to other documents"

I have a workbook where the "Update links to other documents" is set.
I want to remove the checkmark so that I can get the question whether I want
to update or not.
I have tried to remove the checkmark with many combinations of settings on
Trust Center and Edit Links including the Startup Prompt.
Every time I open the workbook the checkmark is set again.
How can I get the question to update?
Thanks in advance
Per Baden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I don't recognise "Update links to other documents"
Which version of Excel are you using? (it always helps if you say)

Since you mention Trust Center I am guessing it is 2007.

Ah - yes - now I see it in Office Button Excel Options Advanced
When calculating this workbook.

In Excel 2002 there is a checkmark for "Update Remote References" which
I think is equivalent despite the change in wording. Remote references
are things like DDE links to other applications, not links to other
workbooks; chances are you don't have any of them. That setting is not
saved with the document, I think.

The general setting you need is, I think, Office Button Excel Options
Trust Center Trust Center Settings Prompt User on Automatic

Update for workbook links

Plus, for the specific workbook you need to ensure that Data
Connections Edit Links Startup Prompt is set to "Let users choose
whether to display the prompt or not"

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

This MSKB article gives more information about the behaviour of this
option in 2000 to 2003:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213836/en-us

and this one is for 2007:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930479/en-us

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I have all the settings and it still doesn't come with a question.
I have now saved the workbook under another name in another folder for test
purpose.
Here I get the question, but still not when I open the original one.
This is maybe because the original one is in a trusted location.
In my opinion it still should remove the checkmark in
Office Button Excel Options Advanced When calculating this workbook
and popup with the question.

"Bill Manville" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Per Baden wrote:
In my opinion it still should remove the checkmark in
Office Button Excel Options Advanced When calculating this workbook
and popup with the question.

Unless you have links to non-Excel files, the question in ...Advanced is
irrelevant since it only applies to such links.

Clearly the trusted location seems to be making a difference, which
surprises me. I will investigate further when I have time.

If all else fails, you could run a different workbook which asks the refresh
question and then loads the intended workbook with/without refreshing the