Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with Formula

I have the formula =if(A1<10,"0",A3-A4) however, what would the formula
look like if I wanted to add in a comparison to calculate the result
where cell
A4 is 0 - is this an and/or scenario?

Please help

--
martins
martins's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31616

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav Dav is offline

First of all 0 is returned as text in your formula if you want it as a
number loose the " "

You need to tell us your situations

If a1<0
else if a40

or if a1<0 and a40

Explain it clearly in english and then someone will give you the right
answer

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=IF(AND(A1<10,A40),0,A3-A4)

(This assumes you want the value 0 rather than the text character "0").

In article ,
martins wrote:

I have the formula =if(A1<10,"0",A3-A4) however, what would the formula
look like if I wanted to add in a comparison to calculate the result
where cell
A4 is 0 - is this an and/or scenario?

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

your right - I am not being very clear - I will try to explain

If cell A1 is less than 10 then calculate the result of A3-A4 (where A4
=0) but if A1 is less than 10 but A4 is 0 then calculate A3-A4

In other words I need the result of A3-A4 where A1 is less than 10 and
A4 is 0 but also when A4 is 0 (at the moment my formula is returning
false when
A4 is 0 and what I need it to do is return the value in both
situations)

Does this help?

--
martins
martins's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31616
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=562380

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"martins" wrote in
message ...

your right - I am not being very clear - I will try to explain

If cell A1 is less than 10 then calculate the result of A3-A4 (where A4
=0) but if A1 is less than 10 but A4 is 0 then calculate A3-A4

In other words I need the result of A3-A4 where A1 is less than 10 and
A4 is 0 but also when A4 is 0 (at the moment my formula is returning
false when
A4 is 0 and what I need it to do is return the value in both
situations)

Does this help?

No it doesn't help much.

You've told us that if A1 < 10 you want the answer to be A3-A4 in the cases
where A4 =0 or A40.
You haven't told us what you want if A1=10.
You also haven't told us what you want if A1<10 and A4 <0.

Fill in the gaps in the formula below.

=IF(A1<10,IF(A4<0,"whatever you want if A1 <10 and A4 <0",A3-A4),"whatever
you want if A1 =10")
--
David Biddulph