Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Gradesheet formula needed

Hi,

I have made a simple gradesheet for recording students grades, and
progressively calculating the average letter grade for each semester.

This works fine, except I need it to round-up to the next letter grade
when the points are 0.75 above the assigned grade value.

Eg. I use a letter grade scale from A+ = 15 and E- = 1. Therefore,
"C" has a value of 8, and "C+" has a value of 9. I need the letter
grade to round up when the average value is 8.75 or higher.

You can see what I mean in the spreadsheet. As I am new to this,
please feel free to chop and change whatever you like. I've sent a
doc, as I couldn't send the excel file.

Any help will be much appreciated.

|Filename: GRADES1a.doc |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5045 |

harrop1
harrop1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36441
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=562076

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav Dav is offline

I would use a vlookup of the value caculated from the average+0.25

refering to a range of data like
1 E-
2 E
3 E+
4 D-
5 D
6 D+
7 C-
8 C
9 C+
10 B-
11 B
12 B+
13 A-
14 A
15 A+

If the above is in A2:b16, and the average is returned in E1
the reference is vlookup
=VLOOKUP(E1+0.25,A2:B16,2)

or subtract 0.25 from each of column A so, 0.75, 1.75 2.75 etc and
=VLOOKUP(E1,A2:B16,2)

Regards

Dav

--