Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with Conditional Formating Time

I have various deadlines and I have formatted my cells to have a Green
background if the deadline is met. So the first condition is "Less than
or Equal to." The cell turns red if the deadline isn't met, so the
condition is "Greater than."

I would type in 12:51 as the conditional value and not worry about a.m
or p.m. The numbers are converted to something like 0.03546666.

Things have been going along great until I got into early a.m. times,
but now I'm having problems. If I type in 12:51 as the conditional
value and 11:20 as the actual I should get a green background, but I'm
getting red.

It doesn't seem as if AM or PM should make a difference in the outcome,
but something strange is going on. I tried formatting the actual time as
PM, but that didn't make a difference.

Thanks for any help.

--
jonhunt
jonhunt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35370

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"jonhunt" wrote in
message ...

I would type in 12:51 as the conditional value and not worry about a.m
or p.m. The numbers are converted to something like 0.03546666.

Excel is therefore interpreting your entry as 12:51 AM therefore 11:20,
whether A or PM is later,(greater), then your first entry

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"jonhunt" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have entered 12:51 as the conditional value, so I suspect the problem
must be in how the entered values for the deadline and actual times are
formatted. They obviously have to be formatted as times and I've tried
all sorts of ways, but it isn't working.

--
jonhunt
jonhunt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35370
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561199

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jon,

If I understand what it is you are saying then you entered 12:51 in the
conditional formatting dialog box and it turned into 0.03546666 which is
equivelant to 00:51. All times entered that are after nine minutes to one
in the morning will therefore be greater then the conditional time thus will
turn red.

--
HTH

Sandy