Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to autofill a column if criteria is met for Excel 2003

I am attempting to have a worksheet field within Excel 2003 autofill a column
as follows:

If B15 = 120354 then C15 will equal the description defined on catalog
worksheet for item 120354. I tried building an 'IF' clause but it just pulls
the first row of the range I indicate. It does give a literal value to field
B15.

Thanks for any assistance.
Natalie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why not use VLOOKUP to return the description of the item from the catalog
sheet?
For example, if the item & description are listed in columns A & B on the
catalog sheet, your cell C15 (on the other sheet) could habe the formula:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B15,Catalog!A:B,2,FALSE)),"",V LOOKUP(B15,Catalog!A:B,2,FALSE))

Then copy the formula to as many rows as needed.

Hope this helps,

Hutch