Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tom Hutchins Tom Hutchins is offline

Default How to autofill a column if criteria is met for Excel 2003

Why not use VLOOKUP to return the description of the item from the catalog
sheet?
For example, if the item & description are listed in columns A & B on the
catalog sheet, your cell C15 (on the other sheet) could habe the formula:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B15,Catalog!A:B,2,FALSE)),"",V LOOKUP(B15,Catalog!A:B,2,FALSE))

Then copy the formula to as many rows as needed.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Natalie" wrote:

I am attempting to have a worksheet field within Excel 2003 autofill a column
as follows:

If B15 = 120354 then C15 will equal the description defined on catalog
worksheet for item 120354. I tried building an 'IF' clause but it just pulls
the first row of the range I indicate. It does give a literal value to field
B15.

Thanks for any assistance.
Natalie