Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Change sign of displayed # to - #

I have an expense sheet calculated, need to show the sum of the "+" number in
a cell that does a subtraction of 2 numbers .. income and subsidized ... as a
- that it negitave amount in red if it is less than a specific numbe. ie 2500

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the first step

That did work in one case but I still need to have a cel' "sign" changed. as
it is now I can change the color to read but is does not change it to a -
number so that it will show brackets as a negitive number.

If printed in b/w, i could not now tell that it is a negitive number.

Got to find a step to convert "+" numbers into "-" numbers.

"Gene" wrote:

I have an expense sheet calculated, need to show the sum of the "+" number in
a cell that does a subtraction of 2 numbers .. income and subsidized ... as a
- that it negitave amount in red if it is less than a specific numbe. ie 2500

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look at Format | Cell and choose the NUMBER category - there are several
predefined types for negative numbers, including red and red in parenthesis.
If you specifically need red and negative symbol vs red in parenthesis, use
the Custom format and type in the following:
$#,##0.00_);[Red]-$#,##0.00
(leave the $ symbols out of it if you're not working with currency).

"Gene" wrote:

I have an expense sheet calculated, need to show the sum of the "+" number in
a cell that does a subtraction of 2 numbers .. income and subsidized ... as a
- that it negitave amount in red if it is less than a specific numbe. ie 2500

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Upon reflection, what I just gave you won't work - went back and re-read your
original problem. And you want the sign of the value to change if it drops
below 2500 (or other limit). Can't think of a way to do that in a single
cell.

But what if you change the format using the Conditional Format as before to
set the fill color to bright red and make the text Bold White - or maybe even
just Bold. The bold should catch the eye, and white characters on a dark
background would be a big clue also?

"Gene" wrote:

I have an expense sheet calculated, need to show the sum of the "+" number in
a cell that does a subtraction of 2 numbers .. income and subsidized ... as a
- that it negitave amount in red if it is less than a specific numbe. ie 2500

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Income 6,078.00
Expenses 4,093.05 < this needs to become a negative number at this point
when calculated below

Cash 33.33

Total available 10,204.38 < this is wrong because of "Sign" of number above

Expenses 1,234.50
678.90
2,158.65
21.00

Total expense 4,093.05

"Gene" wrote:

I have an expense sheet calculated, need to show the sum of the "+" number in
a cell that does a subtraction of 2 numbers .. income and subsidized ... as a
- that it negitave amount in red if it is less than a specific numbe. ie 2500

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Care to share your solution? It would be something for others to read and
keep in mind when someone asks the same question later. The only way I could
think of to do this was to use a helper cell/column/row - and I didn't know
if you were prepared to go that route.