Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Display ranked data in order from a range

Hello,

This is a continuation of a recent problem I had. But never mind that
for now:)

I essentially have a range of data which has been ranked from largest
to smallest and according to various criteria. I would now like to
return those results which are ranked highest until a certain point -
example; my workbook tells me I need to know the top 15 results. I
would like to return the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on results until the
15th, or whichever number that happens to be.

I envision something that can return the number one ranked result as
long as it is less than the cell which contains the limit (15), and
copying that down with modification so that it brings over the 2nd, 3rd
etc.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your list of numbers was in the range A5:A28 (not including any
headings), you could enter this formula in a cell in another column and copy
it down 14 times:

=OFFSET($A$5,RANK(A5,$A$5:$A$28,0)-1,0)

If your range will be more dynamic, you could set it up to look at all of
column A, as follows:

=OFFSET($A$5,RANK(A5,A:A,0)-1,0)

Hope this helps,

Hutch