Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using variables in a cell/formula

Can a formula in a cell contain a variable? What I'd like to do is . . .

EX: Sheet 1 has columns that calculate some values. We have some customers
that want some values calculated two ways. We have no idea ahead of time
what features these will be, until we fill out Sheet 1. Certain "types" of
features have these duel requirements. So row 12 might be one this time.
Next time it might be rows 2 and 17. Etc. (We only run this spreadsheet one
time! Once data is dumped into it, it's saved as another name.)

So the operator has to manually copy/paste, and type data from sheet 1 to
the other format.

What I want is . . . Column 1 on sheet 1 is the feature number, as assigned
on a print.

I'd like the operator to be able to go to sheet 2, type in the feature
number in a specific cell, answer a prompt, what ever. Then the data could
be pulled from sheet 1 and recalculated to format 2.

So I need to basically say . . . either when operator clicks in cell or in a
prompt . . .

If "the number you typed in (as in, the feature number of one of the entries
on sheet 1, column 1)" is one of the numbers in column 1 of sheet 1, copy
that row of data over to sheet 2 on "this" row".

I'm not sure even I understand what I said here! LOL

Comments welcome.

Better example, maybe . . . Column 1 heading: Print Feature Number

Sheet 1, row 12, column 1: 2502.02 <- feature number from print

This feature is one requiring dual format. So . . .

I go to sheet 2. Click in 1st (or next) available row, in column 1. Type
in 2502.02

Sheet 2 recognizes 2502.02 as an entry in sheet 1 in colomn 1, so . . .

When I hit enter . . . the data from that row on sheet 1 goes to specific
columns in sheet 2.

Does that make more sense? :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wayne,
If I understand your requirement then you could assign VLOOKUP
formulae in your Sheet2 which are based on the entry in column 1. These could
be set so that the cells remain blank until data i.e. feature number is
entered.

Alternatively, using VBA, a worksheet event could be enabled which
recognises that data has been entered in column 1 and it then returns the
data from Sheet1.

Are either of these possible/acceptable soluions?