Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default create date

Hi,

column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One way ..

Assuming data in cols A & B in row2 down

Put in say, C2: =DATEVALUE(A2&B2)
Format C2 as Custom, type: mmm-yy
Copy C2 down

We can now sort cols A to C by col C ..
--
Max
Singapore
"tom ossieur" wrote:
column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Tom,

In C1 put =(A1&"/"&B1)*1 and format C1
as custom mmm-yyyy

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can't get either of them to sort!

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"tom ossieur" wrote:
column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Stupid me ... tried to sort *only* the column of dates by itself, and forgot
the darned column is FORMULAS ! ! !

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"tom ossieur" wrote:
column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"RagDyeR" wrote:
... tried to sort *only* the column of dates by itself, and forgot
the darned column is FORMULAS ! ! !

That happens to me at times too, RD <g !

"tom ossieur" wrote in message
I used Max's solution and I have to admit it works perfect.
just Data Sort

Glad it worked for you, Tom
Thanks for feedback ..