-   -   create date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/97775-create-date.html)

tom ossieur

create date

Hi,

column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

Max

create date

One way ..

Assuming data in cols A & B in row2 down

Put in say, C2: =DATEVALUE(A2&B2)
Format C2 as Custom, type: mmm-yy
Copy C2 down

We can now sort cols A to C by col C ..
--
Max
Singapore
"tom ossieur" wrote:
column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

MartinW

create date

Hi Tom,

In C1 put =(A1&"/"&B1)*1 and format C1
as custom mmm-yyyy

HTH
Martin

RagDyeR

create date

I can't get either of them to sort!

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"tom ossieur" wrote:
column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

tom ossieur

create date

I used Max's solution and I have to admit it works perfect.

just Data Sort

"tom ossieur" wrote:
column A contains the word Jan or Feb, or...
column B contains a year
how can I combine them into a date which I can sort chronologically?

A B C
DEC 1998 should become e.g. Dec-98
DEC 1998
JAN 1997
JAN 1997
FEB 1997
MAR 1997
APR 1997
APR 1997
MAY 1997

Thanks!

tom

RagDyeR

create date

Stupid me ... tried to sort *only* the column of dates by itself, and forgot
the darned column is FORMULAS ! ! !

RD
-------------------

"RagDyeR" wrote:
... tried to sort *only* the column of dates by itself, and forgot
the darned column is FORMULAS ! ! !

That happens to me at times too, RD <g !

"tom ossieur" wrote in message
I used Max's solution and I have to admit it works perfect.
just Data Sort

Glad it worked for you, Tom
Thanks for feedback ..