Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Matching and Aligning Cells Formula/Function? Macro?

Hello,

I've been having trouble with a worksheet with roughly 2000 rows and 4
columns. The first column has a full list of names, the second column
a list of names (not full), the third and fourth columns with numerical
values. I need to align the first column with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th
column: here's an example:

Jane Joe 5 $10
Joe Mary 8 $9
John Steve 6 $20
Mary
Sara
Steve

I want it to turn out like this:

Jane
Joe Joe 5 $10
John
Mary Mary 8 $9
Sara
Steve Steve 6 $20

Is there any way to make this process either, because at this time, all
i'm doing is inserting blank rows, one by one.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One way ..

Assuming data as posted is in cols A to D, from row1 down

Put in E1:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A1,$B:$B,0)),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH($A 1,$B:$B,0)))
Copy E1 to G1, fill down as far as required

Then select cols E to G, kill the formulas with an "in-place":
Copy Paste special Check "Values" OK
Clean up by deleting cols B to D
--
Max