Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Matching and Aligning Cells Formula/Function? Macro?

One way ..

Assuming data as posted is in cols A to D, from row1 down

Put in E1:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A1,$B:$B,0)),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH($A 1,$B:$B,0)))
Copy E1 to G1, fill down as far as required

Then select cols E to G, kill the formulas with an "in-place":
Copy Paste special Check "Values" OK
Clean up by deleting cols B to D
--
Max
Singapore
" wrote:
Hello,

I've been having trouble with a worksheet with roughly 2000 rows and 4
columns. The first column has a full list of names, the second column
a list of names (not full), the third and fourth columns with numerical
values. I need to align the first column with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th
column: here's an example:

Jane Joe 5 $10
Joe Mary 8 $9
John Steve 6 $20
Mary
Sara
Steve

I want it to turn out like this:

Jane
Joe Joe 5 $10
John
Mary Mary 8 $9
Sara
Steve Steve 6 $20

Is there any way to make this process either, because at this time, all
i'm doing is inserting blank rows, one by one.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

John