Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with formula

I am trying to create a formula to take specific information out of one cell.
Here is what I am trying to do.
Cell A1 B1 C1 D1
E1

Detail "B" Detail "B" Feature #47 1.2204 dia ±.001
Feature #47
1.204 dia
±.001

Cell A1 has all this information in it Detail Feature Dia, and my tolerance.
This information is also ALT Entered so that is under one anther. It is also
wrapped text. The information such as dia may change to dim or angle. Feature
numbers will change to #48 etc. The same with the tolerances as well. Any
help will be greatly appreciated. I am really good at excel bet cant get this
one. Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Use Text to Columns
Delimited by Other
Hold down the ALT key and use the numeric keypad and type 010
Finish

Biff

"Carrguy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Use Text to Columns
Delimited by Other
Hold down the ALT key and use the numeric keypad and type 010
Finish

Biff can you elaberate on the text to coloum

Biff

"Carrguy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Carrguy" wrote in message

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Use Text to Columns
Delimited by Other
Hold down the ALT key and use the numeric keypad and type 010
Finish

Biff can you elaberate on the text to coloum

You said " I am really good at excel" !!!!!

Ok, step-by-step:

Assume that data is in cell A1.
Make sure the cells to the right are empty or any data in them will be
overwritten.
Select cell A1
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Next
Delimiters: select Other and in the little box to the right type 010 using
the *numeric keypad while holding down the ALT key*
Then select Finish

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Note:

Delimiters: select Other and in the little box to the right type 010 using
the *numeric keypad while holding down the ALT key*

When you type the number code 010, nothing will appear in the little box but
don't worry about that.. That is not a printable character.

Biff

"Biff" wrote in message
"Carrguy" wrote in message

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Use Text to Columns
Delimited by Other
Hold down the ALT key and use the numeric keypad and type 010
Finish

Biff can you elaberate on the text to coloum

You said " I am really good at excel" !!!!!

Ok, step-by-step:

Assume that data is in cell A1.
Make sure the cells to the right are empty or any data in them will be
overwritten.
Select cell A1
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Next
Delimiters: select Other and in the little box to the right type 010 using
the *numeric keypad while holding down the ALT key*
Then select Finish

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That worked out wonderfully. I have one more question. I wanted to keep my
orginial information all in cell A1 as well. Is there a way to do that.
Thanks for all the help!

Note:

"Biff" wrote in message
"Carrguy" wrote in message

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Use Text to Columns
Delimited by Other
Hold down the ALT key and use the numeric keypad and type 010
Finish

Biff can you elaberate on the text to coloum

You said " I am really good at excel" !!!!!

Ok, step-by-step:

Assume that data is in cell A1.
Make sure the cells to the right are empty or any data in them will be
overwritten.
Select cell A1
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
Select Delimited
Click Next
Delimiters: select Other and in the little box to the right type 010 using
the *numeric keypad while holding down the ALT key*
Then select Finish

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Carrguy" wrote in message
That worked out wonderfully. I have one more question. I wanted to keep my
orginial information all in cell A1 as well. Is there a way to do that.
Thanks for all the help!

OK, believe it or not, it's easier to parse A1 using Text to Columns and
then "rebuild" the original entry.

You can insert a new column A.

Then, enter this formula in A1:

=B1&CHAR(10)&C1&CHAR(10)&D1&CHAR(10)&E1

Format the cell to wrap text:

Select the cell
Goto the menu FormatCellsAlignment tab
Under Text Control, select Wrap text
OK out

You may have to widen the column to get it to display properly.

Biff