Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bailfire13

Default Can I create a formula dependent on if a cell is highlighted or no

I have a huge data file that I've gone through and highlighted (using the
regular fill command) certain aspects. Now, I want to add up all the areas
I've highlighted, but I don't want to run through the entire file again
(10,000 rows) to find the cells I've highlighted. Is it possible to create a
formula that will use only highlighted cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

hi, take a look at Chip Person's page, i think it could help you

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"bailfire13" escreveu:

I have a huge data file that I've gone through and highlighted (using the
regular fill command) certain aspects. Now, I want to add up all the areas
I've highlighted, but I don't want to run through the entire file again
(10,000 rows) to find the cells I've highlighted. Is it possible to create a
formula that will use only highlighted cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Marcelo

Since OP does not mention CF, I think this site would serve him/her better.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Look for SumByColor code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"bailfire13" escreveu:

I have a huge data file that I've gone through and highlighted (using the
regular fill command) certain aspects. Now, I want to add up all the areas
I've highlighted, but I don't want to run through the entire file again
(10,000 rows) to find the cells I've highlighted. Is it possible to create a
formula that will use only highlighted cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bailfire13

To Gord and Marcelo,

Thanks for your help. I'm sure it will work. I just need to figure out how
to do Macros now.

Bailfire13

"bailfire13" escreveu:

I have a huge data file that I've gone through and highlighted (using the
regular fill command) certain aspects. Now, I want to add up all the areas
I've highlighted, but I don't want to run through the entire file again
(10,000 rows) to find the cells I've highlighted. Is it possible to create a
formula that will use only highlighted cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the SUMBYCOLOR code from Chip's page in
there. Save the workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Enter the formula as instructed by Chip.

=SUMBYCOLOR(A1:A10,3,FALSE) ...... or TRUE for Font color

Gord