Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Todd

Default cell formatting won't update

Hi this is a follow up to my last questions. My problem is the data and
getting the formula's to read it. I copied and pasted the data from a pivot
table and the columns are set to accounting two digits. But thats not what
shows in the cell. Each cell shows many digits. The formulas are working
now if I put the curser in the cell and select return. The values then
update to the accounting format it is supposed to be already and everything
works fine. ????

Any ideas what is going on, how to avoid it and a faster way than selecting
every cell individually.

Thanks so much!

Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Not sure what could be happening there, but you could try this ..

Select an empty cell, enter a zero. Copy the cell, then select the range/col
of numbers, right-click paste special add ok

Check also the book's calc mode, ensure it's set to auto
[via: Tools Options Calculation tab]
--
Max
Singapore
"Todd" wrote:
Hi this is a follow up to my last questions. My problem is the data and
getting the formula's to read it. I copied and pasted the data from a pivot
table and the columns are set to accounting two digits. But thats not what
shows in the cell. Each cell shows many digits. The formulas are working
now if I put the curser in the cell and select return. The values then
update to the accounting format it is supposed to be already and everything
works fine. ????

Any ideas what is going on, how to avoid it and a faster way than selecting
every cell individually.

Thanks so much!

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Todd

Thank you Max! For both the answers (three really). Everything is working
and I learned some very helpful info.

Todd

"Todd" wrote:
Hi this is a follow up to my last questions. My problem is the data and
getting the formula's to read it. I copied and pasted the data from a pivot
table and the columns are set to accounting two digits. But thats not what
shows in the cell. Each cell shows many digits. The formulas are working
now if I put the curser in the cell and select return. The values then
update to the accounting format it is supposed to be already and everything
works fine. ????

Any ideas what is going on, how to avoid it and a faster way than selecting
every cell individually.

Thanks so much!

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Glad to hear that, Todd.
Thanks for the feedback ..
--
"Todd" wrote:
Thank you Max! For both the answers (three really). Everything is working
and I learned some very helpful info.

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Max

To save a few keystrokes, it is not necessary to enter the 0 in a cell.

Just copy a blank/empty cell and Paste SpecialAdd

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:11:02 -0700, Max wrote:

Not sure what could be happening there, but you could try this ..

Select an empty cell, enter a zero. Copy the cell, then select the range/col
of numbers, right-click paste special add ok

Check also the book's calc mode, ensure it's set to auto
[via: Tools Options Calculation tab]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
Just copy a blank/empty cell and Paste SpecialAdd
To save a few keystrokes, it is not necessary to enter the 0 in a cell.

Agreed, Gord. It was just a precaution to make doubly certain that the
"empty" cell selected for copy didn't contain any "invisible" white spaces.
i.e. it's really empty. One never knows which "empty" cell might get selected
over there <g.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Good point Max.

I have been lucky so far and not encountered the "space in the blank cell".

I'll keep it in mind.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:16:02 -0700, Max wrote:

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
Just copy a blank/empty cell and Paste SpecialAdd
To save a few keystrokes, it is not necessary to enter the 0 in a cell.

Agreed, Gord. It was just a precaution to make doubly certain that the
"empty" cell selected for copy didn't contain any "invisible" white spaces.
i.e. it's really empty. One never knows which "empty" cell might get selected
over there <g.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Yeah, but...

If you have empty cells in the "pasted" range, then you'll end up with 0's in
those cells (if you start with a cell with 0).

The blank (really empty) cell doesn't have this trouble.

Max wrote:

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
Just copy a blank/empty cell and Paste SpecialAdd
To save a few keystrokes, it is not necessary to enter the 0 in a cell.

Agreed, Gord. It was just a precaution to make doubly certain that the
"empty" cell selected for copy didn't contain any "invisible" white spaces.
i.e. it's really empty. One never knows which "empty" cell might get selected
over there <g.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
Yeah, but...
If you have empty cells in the "pasted" range, then you'll end up with 0's in
those cells (if you start with a cell with 0).
The blank (really empty) cell doesn't have this trouble.

Good point, Dave. Perhaps the precaution (if at all necessary) should be
just to clear the selected "empty" cell instead (press Delete key) before
copying it.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I sometimes just go outside the used range (ctrl-end, then down one
row--especially in code).

But mostly, I'm careful to select an empty cell <vbg.

Max wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
Yeah, but...
If you have empty cells in the "pasted" range, then you'll end up with 0's in
those cells (if you start with a cell with 0).
The blank (really empty) cell doesn't have this trouble.

Good point, Dave. Perhaps the precaution (if at all necessary) should be
just to clear the selected "empty" cell instead (press Delete key) before
copying it.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
I sometimes just go outside the used range (ctrl-end, then down one
row--especially in code).
But mostly, I'm careful to select an empty cell <vbg.

... think I'll stick with the single stroke of the Delete key <vbg
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Well, here's hoping that sacrificial cell wasn't used in any subsequent
formulas/code <gd&r.

Max wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
I sometimes just go outside the used range (ctrl-end, then down one
row--especially in code).
But mostly, I'm careful to select an empty cell <vbg.

.. think I'll stick with the single stroke of the Delete key <vbg
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
Well, here's hoping that sacrificial cell wasn't used in any subsequent
formulas/code <gd&r.

But of course ! <bg
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks so much for posting this. I had the exact same problem Todd was
having with formatting. The Paste/Add thing worked perfectly to get the
cells to update to the formmating I wanted. Thanks a bunch!

"Todd" wrote:
Hi this is a follow up to my last questions. My problem is the data and
getting the formula's to read it. I copied and pasted the data from a pivot
table and the columns are set to accounting two digits. But thats not what
shows in the cell. Each cell shows many digits. The formulas are working
now if I put the curser in the cell and select return. The values then
update to the accounting format it is supposed to be already and everything
works fine. ????

Any ideas what is going on, how to avoid it and a faster way than selecting
every cell individually.

Thanks so much!

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Glad the response was of help to you, too.
Thanks for feeding back.