Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jean McC

Default Project Management - Start & End Date Calculations

I am setting up a combination project management and financial spreadsheet
for a builder. I want to calculate the ending date from the duration days.

If I put in Monday, 6/12/06 and add three days, the result is Thursday,
6/15/06. this is as if it is adding 3 days from the end of Monday vs 8am
Monday. (Not the way the builder thinks.)

Is there a setting I'm missing that will return the date Wednesday, 6/14?

Also, the builder is still on MSOffice 2002 so NETWORKDAYS function is not
available to him. Naturally, he wants no beginning or end dates to fall on
weekends. Anyone have a formula to accomodate that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Jean

It is not a function of XL 2003 or 2003 it is a question of adding the
Analysis Toolpak.
ToolsAddinsAnalysis Toolpak

=WORKDAY(A1,3)-1
the -1 on the end will account for your problem.
If you want to include holiday dates as well, set up a range of cells
with the holiday dates in them and either name it as holidays or refer
to the range containing the dates with
=WORKDAY(A1,3,holidays)-1
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Jean McC" <Jean wrote in message
I am setting up a combination project management and financial
spreadsheet
for a builder. I want to calculate the ending date from the duration
days.

If I put in Monday, 6/12/06 and add three days, the result is
Thursday,
6/15/06. this is as if it is adding 3 days from the end of Monday vs
8am
Monday. (Not the way the builder thinks.)

Is there a setting I'm missing that will return the date Wednesday,
6/14?

Also, the builder is still on MSOffice 2002 so NETWORKDAYS function is
not
available to him. Naturally, he wants no beginning or end dates to
fall on
weekends. Anyone have a formula to accomodate that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

It is not a function of XL 2003 or 2003
That should have read
It is not a function of XL 2002 or 2003
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

=WORKDAY(A1,3)-1

Think you need to subtract from A1 otherwise the result could be a weekend
date.

=WORKDAY(A1-1,3)

Also need to format the cell as DATE. Workday returns a serial date.

Biff

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Quite right Biff, I had not considered that possibility.

--
Regards

Roger Govier