Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Randy

Default Copying a hyperlink with a function

I'm running Excel 2003. I have a list of values in one sheet (call it 1),
several worksheets of which each contains a unique status report and another
sheet (call it 2) that contains values from sheet 1 that also contains a
hyperlink to the unique status report sheet. The values in sheet 1 change a
couple of times a week and contain up to 700 rows of data. What I cannot
figure out is how to compare the values in sheet 1 against the values in
sheet 2 and if there is a match, then copy the hyperlink to the status report
from sheet 2 to sheet 1. I can do a vlookup to compare the values but I
cannot get the hyperlink function to work. I prefer not to use a macro if at
all possible unless it can be setup to only run from sheet 1 and only look at
sheet 2.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Randy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

You cant get the hyperlink with only the vlookup. You'll need to use the
hyperlink function as well. Let's say you have something that looks like
this in A1

A1: Z:\folder\file.doc
B1: =hyperlink(A1)

"Randy" wrote:

I'm running Excel 2003. I have a list of values in one sheet (call it 1),
several worksheets of which each contains a unique status report and another
sheet (call it 2) that contains values from sheet 1 that also contains a
hyperlink to the unique status report sheet. The values in sheet 1 change a
couple of times a week and contain up to 700 rows of data. What I cannot
figure out is how to compare the values in sheet 1 against the values in
sheet 2 and if there is a match, then copy the hyperlink to the status report
from sheet 2 to sheet 1. I can do a vlookup to compare the values but I
cannot get the hyperlink function to work. I prefer not to use a macro if at
all possible unless it can be setup to only run from sheet 1 and only look at
sheet 2.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Randy

Barb,

I've tried this several times and no matter what I put in cell A1 I receive
the "Cannot open specified file" error. What's they syntax for A1 if I want
to jump to another sheet in the same workbook? Also, I've tried typing in
the exact path based one what you see from a hyperlink that was created by
right clicking and choosing hyperlink and that does not work either.

Thanks!

Randy

"Randy" wrote:

I'm running Excel 2003. I have a list of values in one sheet (call it 1),
several worksheets of which each contains a unique status report and another
sheet (call it 2) that contains values from sheet 1 that also contains a
hyperlink to the unique status report sheet. The values in sheet 1 change a
couple of times a week and contain up to 700 rows of data. What I cannot
figure out is how to compare the values in sheet 1 against the values in
sheet 2 and if there is a match, then copy the hyperlink to the status report
from sheet 2 to sheet 1. I can do a vlookup to compare the values but I
cannot get the hyperlink function to work. I prefer not to use a macro if at
all possible unless it can be setup to only run from sheet 1 and only look at
sheet 2.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Randy

HYPERLINK(I25,J25)

I25 is the cell that contains the hyperlink and J25 is the friendly name

I'm beginning to think there is something corrupted or locked in my
spreadsheet becaust I got this to work fine in a new workbook.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

What are you trying to put within the hyperlink function?