Thomson health care

Default copying a cell that has a hyperlink

Can you copy a cell and place that cell in a new spread sheet that has a
hyperlink and still expect the hyperlink to work? I have tried it several
times and have always recieved an error message. I have not changed anything
other than palce the copied cell that has the working hyperlink in a new
workbook.
David McRitchie

It depends on what your hyperlink contains. For instance a hyperlink
to http://www.google.com should remain the same.

A hyperlink to sheet22!B5 is going to give you trouble if you copy sheet to
a new workbook and a problem with how we would know what you really wanted.

The safest way is to copy the entire worksheet making a copy.
Edit, Move or copy sheet, make sure you check make a copy.

Excel will include the workbook name when it is copied to a new workbook.
You can only have one workbook with a name i.e. TimeSheet.xls
open at one time. You may be picking up the pathname as well or not
picking up the pathname causing a problem. Look in that area for
problems, between what you see and the hyperlink.
---
HTH,

"Thomson health care" wrote in message
Can you copy a cell and place that cell in a new spread sheet that has a
hyperlink and still expect the hyperlink to work? I have tried it several
times and have always recieved an error message. I have not changed anything
other than palce the copied cell that has the working hyperlink in a new
workbook.

Thomson health care

My hyperlink goes to word documents. I would like to have a master sheet of
hyperlinks and when I begin a new workbook I could just copy and paste from
the master list to the new workbook. Is that pooible?

"David McRitchie" wrote:

[...]

David McRitchie

pooible? -- Perhaps, I'll have to look that up in a Medical dictionary
to make sure.

There are some userdefined functions on
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc2.htm
to return the hyperlink of the referenced cell, see what you get from .
=personal.xls!HyperlinkAddress(A1)
=personal.xls!HyperLinkText(A1)

--
---