Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bradley

Default IF= Cells not totaling

Hey all,
I've got a column of equations [=IF(B3="S","3","")] that gives me 3's
in each cell. When I go to AutoSum the column, I get a "0", not the
total of 3's. This should be really simple. I want to add up what's
showing in the cells, NOT the formula.

Help?

TIA!
-b
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bradley wrote:
I've got a column of equations [=IF(B3="S","3","")] that gives me 3's
in each cell. When I go to AutoSum the column, I get a "0", not the
total of 3's.

You should write:

=if(B3="S", 3, "")

No quotes around 3. "3" with quotes is the string 3. 3 without quotes
is the number 3.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bradley

Bradley wrote:
Hey all,
I've got a column of equations [=IF(B3="S","3","")] that gives me
3's in each cell. When I go to AutoSum the column, I get a "0", not the
total of 3's. This should be really simple. I want to add up what's
showing in the cells, NOT the formula.

Help?

TIA!
-b

DOH! Got to change the "3" to 3. It was being read as a string....

-b
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bearacade

Put this in your formula instead