Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Which Finance Function should i use to solve this

Work four summers, starting at age 16

Save the income in a Roth IRA account

Invest it in a simple, low-cost equity portfolio

Simmer slowly for 47 years

Serve ungarnished (and untaxed) at age 67

If your money is invested in common stocks and you achieve the average
compound annual rate on large-capitalization U.S. stocks, 10.7%, your
account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year. You will be
20 years old. Invested in the same way, with no additional savings, the
account will grow to:
$25,917 by the time you are 30

$71,625 by the time you are 40

$197,943 by the time you are 50

$547,037 by the time you are 60

And $1,114,423 by the time you are 67

is there a function that will give me this answer without using
multiple rows and columns to calculate this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis

account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year.
You will be 20 years old.
$25,917 by the time you are 30
$71,625 by the time you are 40

Hi. We first need to figure out what you invested at age 16. (Here in A1).

[A1] =PV(10.7%,4,,9378)
($6,244.82)

Check you figures when we are 30 (14 years later)

=FV(10.7%,14,,A1)
$25,917.10

And 40...
=FV(10.7%,24,,A1)
$71,624.67

All values seem to check...
-
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP, Office 2003

wrote in message
ups.com...
Work four summers, starting at age 16

Save the income in a Roth IRA account

Invest it in a simple, low-cost equity portfolio

Simmer slowly for 47 years

Serve ungarnished (and untaxed) at age 67

If your money is invested in common stocks and you achieve the average
compound annual rate on large-capitalization U.S. stocks, 10.7%, your
account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year. You will be
20 years old. Invested in the same way, with no additional savings, the
account will grow to:
$25,917 by the time you are 30

$71,625 by the time you are 40

$197,943 by the time you are 50

$547,037 by the time you are 60

And $1,114,423 by the time you are 67

is there a function that will give me this answer without using
multiple rows and columns to calculate this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis

Or perhaps if a cell/cells have the range name "Age", then ...

=9378*POWER(1+10.7%, Age-20)
or...
=FV(10.7%,Age-20,,-9378)

--
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis

"Dana DeLouis" wrote in message
account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year.
You will be 20 years old.
$25,917 by the time you are 30
$71,625 by the time you are 40

Hi. We first need to figure out what you invested at age 16. (Here in
A1).

[A1] =PV(10.7%,4,,9378)
($6,244.82)

Check you figures when we are 30 (14 years later)

=FV(10.7%,14,,A1)
$25,917.10

And 40...
=FV(10.7%,24,,A1)
$71,624.67

All values seem to check...
-
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP, Office 2003

wrote in message
ups.com...
Work four summers, starting at age 16

Save the income in a Roth IRA account

Invest it in a simple, low-cost equity portfolio

Simmer slowly for 47 years

Serve ungarnished (and untaxed) at age 67

If your money is invested in common stocks and you achieve the average
compound annual rate on large-capitalization U.S. stocks, 10.7%, your
account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year. You will be
20 years old. Invested in the same way, with no additional savings, the
account will grow to:
$25,917 by the time you are 30

$71,625 by the time you are 40

$197,943 by the time you are 50

$547,037 by the time you are 60

And $1,114,423 by the time you are 67

is there a function that will give me this answer without using
multiple rows and columns to calculate this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:
Investment made at 16 was 2000

Although that is not relevant to the question you asked because you
assumed that you (will) have $9378 by age 20 somehow, if you are going
into the 2nd summer of work now, you will need to invest an average of
$1728 after each of the remaining 3 summers in order to accumulate
$9378 in assets at an average growth of 10.7%. This is given by the
following formula:

=pmt(10.7%, 3, -2000*(1+10.7%), 9378, 1)

How to solve tie when using the Rank function? Skeep Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 26th 06 08:56 AM
IF function to blank without getting #value in sum function Brad Stevenson Excel Worksheet Functions 5 May 26th 05 10:26 AM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM