Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tim80

Default Can't consolidate non-data (ie text) cells from worksheets

I have got a number of worksheets containing lists of names/ Email addresses
ie. non-data (ie text) values .

I want to consolidate these non-data (ie text) values from cells in
different worksheets - but am failing. I have formatted the separate
worksheets into lists, and then used the 'consolidate' function, but of
course this requires a 'summary function' setting ('SUM', 'COUNT') - I can't
see how to do this when it is a non-numerical value.

Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj

I think what you need is "concatinate" not "consolidate"
for example if you wanted to make one textr file from wjhat is in A1. A2 and
A#
=concatinate(A1:A3) would work
or in a formula use "&" instead of "+"
=A1&A2&A3
if you want a space between the cells
=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3

"Tim80" wrote:

I have got a number of worksheets containing lists of names/ Email addresses
ie. non-data (ie text) values .

I want to consolidate these non-data (ie text) values from cells in
different worksheets - but am failing. I have formatted the separate
worksheets into lists, and then used the 'consolidate' function, but of
course this requires a 'summary function' setting ('SUM', 'COUNT') - I can't
see how to do this when it is a non-numerical value.

Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tim80

Thanks for your swift reponse - but I think that would combine text data in
cells. I just want to bring a number of worksheets containing rows and
columns into one worksheet (for the purpose of formatting, checking for
duplicate entries, etc). Preferrably, I would also like to have an 'update'
function, so that when I update one of the sheets it simultaneously updates
the consolidated sheet too - do you see what I mean?

I think the consolidate function is needed for that. However, it won't allow
me to do this. Any ideas?