Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peter from Novartis

Default Using Replace command for replacing a character by an ALT+ENTER

Hi,
I have a large number of cell entries, all separated by a "/", but I need to
replace it by "ALT+ENTER" (the keys sequence one uses for placing several
expressions within the same cell onto separate lines of that same cell).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"Peter from Novartis" wrote:
I have a large number of cell entries, all separated by a "/", but I need to
replace it by "ALT+ENTER" (the keys sequence one uses for placing several
expressions within the same cell onto separate lines of that same cell).

Assume source data in A1 down
In B1: =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",CHAR(10))
Format B1 to wrap text*, then
Copy B1 down as far as required

*Click Format Cells Alignment tab Check "Wrap text" OK
--
Max
Singapore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Hi Peter,
With the cursor in the Replace With box: hold down the ALT key and type the
digits 010 on the numeric pad (it must be the numeric pad - a pain on a
laptop!) This enters the non-printing character LF which is what is needed
(it will not show in the box)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Peter from Novartis" <Peter from wrote
in message ...
Hi,
I have a large number of cell entries, all separated by a "/", but I need
replace it by "ALT+ENTER" (the keys sequence one uses for placing several
expressions within the same cell onto separate lines of that same cell).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

One way might be to use an adjacent column =substitute(a2,"/",char(10)) and
format cells to word wrapthen change formula to values and delete the
original column.
or a macro to do it for you.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Peter from Novartis" <Peter from
wrote
in message ...
Hi,
I have a large number of cell entries, all separated by a "/", but I need
replace it by "ALT+ENTER" (the keys sequence one uses for placing several
expressions within the same cell onto separate lines of that same cell).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

a macro
Sub changetowrap()
For Each c In Selection
c = Application.Substitute(c, "/", Chr(10))
Next c
Selection.WrapText = True

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software