Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
HB Designs

Default using vlookup between two separate sheets

there's a preference in excel somewhere that allows you to reference an array
in a different workbook all together than the sheet you're entering the
function on. Here's my example:
I have multiple worksheets in a book - each sheet has a different period's
pay information for our employees. I've got a separate workbook set up on a
different drive that pulls in all these periods of pay information to one
simple worksheet. The vlookup function works for me, but not for a coworker.
She doesn't get the little yellow box that pops up with the details of the
function after typing in "=vlookup(". Even if she inserts the data manually
into the function helper, it doesn't let her deviate from her current
worksheet.
i'm going crazy trying to figure out where the preference is that allows her
to do this - any one have any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am having a very similar problem. I am using vlookups on multiple sheets at
work(all the time)... i just set up a new computer at home... still excel
2003, but I can't reference data using vlookup if the data is not in the
active spreadsheet... ??? grrr.

"HB Designs" wrote:

there's a preference in excel somewhere that allows you to reference an array
in a different workbook all together than the sheet you're entering the
function on. Here's my example:
I have multiple worksheets in a book - each sheet has a different period's
pay information for our employees. I've got a separate workbook set up on a
different drive that pulls in all these periods of pay information to one
simple worksheet. The vlookup function works for me, but not for a coworker.
She doesn't get the little yellow box that pops up with the details of the
function after typing in "=vlookup(". Even if she inserts the data manually
into the function helper, it doesn't let her deviate from her current
worksheet.
i'm going crazy trying to figure out where the preference is that allows her
to do this - any one have any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go to Tools, Options, General Tab, and look for the option called
"Function tooltips", which should be checked.

Regards
Mike

--
Mikeopolo