Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
caracasven

Default How can I connect a word of text to a certain dollar value?

I work for a company that gives a certain mileage reimbursement to guys
working at certain jobs. I want to know how I can enter the name of the job
and have the dollar amount of the reimbursement show up in the appropriate
column. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Perhaps something like this:

Build this table in A1: B6
------------
JobType Rate
Job1 $2.05
Job2 $3.12
Job3 $4.80
Job4 $5.00
Job5 $6.20

D1: (a job type)
E1: =VLOOKUP(D1,$A$1:$B$6,2,0)
That formula looks in the first column of the table for the value in D1. If
it finds it, it returns the corresponding value from the 2nd column of the
table.

Example:
D1: Job4
E1 returns 5.00

To make sure that the D1 entry is valid, you may want to use a Data
Validation drop down list. See Debra Dalgelish's website for instructions:

Is that something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP