Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Damon Longworth

Default Last week for regular registration - London Excel User Conference - July 19-21

Apologies for the cross posting. Final week to register in the regular
registration period.

Final days for the Regular Registration period, which ends June 19, 2006.
You will not want to miss this one!!!

London Excel User Conference -
http://www.exceluserconference.com/2006UKEUC.html

Excel users are gathering in the London, England this Summer - July 19-21,
2006 for the first UK Excel User Conference. The conference is coming to
London by large demand. Don't wait as this one will fill up quickly because
of limited availability. The UK conference has a great list of presenters:
Martin Green, Nick Hodge, Simon Murphy, Patrick O'Beirne, Bob Phillips, Andy
Pope and Charles Williams. We are lucky for a chance to attend an event led
by individuals with such in depth Excel knowledge.

The event will be held close to the heart of London at the University of
Westminster - Marylebone Campus. July 19th will be directed towards the
intermediate users and July 20th will have topics for the advanced users.
Add-on classes will be available for an additional fee.

http://www.exceluserconference.com/2...C_Classes.html

Beyond the Basics - Wednesday, July 19th:

* Intermediate VBA by Bob Phillips
* Spreadsheet Design by Simon Murphy
* Building Custom Functions by Martin Green
* Intermediate Charting by Andy Pope
* Calculation / Optimization by Charles Williams
* Preventing Spreadsheet Errors by Patrick O'Beirne

Advance to the Next Level - Thursday, July 20th:

* Advanced Counting And Summing by Bob Phillips
* Building an Excel Add-In by Martin Green
* Converting xla add-ins to COM add-ins in VB6 by Simon Murphy
* Advanced Charting by Andy Pope
* Writing efficient and trouble-free VBA UDFs by Charles Williams
* Pivot Tables by Nick Hodge

--
Damon Longworth

2006 UK Excel User Conference
July 19/21st, 2006
University of Westminster - Marylebone Campus
London, England
Registration Now Open!!
http://www.exceluserconference.com/2006UKEUC.html

2006 West Coast Excel User Conference
October 2006
Tentative location - Los Angeles Metro area
Announcement soon!
http://www.exceluserconference.com/2006ECEUC.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles Williams

Default Improving Excel Performance - London Excel User Conference - July 19-21

My session on the 19th will be based on my upcoming 12000 word white paper:
it has been interesting developing and testing the examples!

a very rough outline of the session is as follows:
- Full Calculation, Recalculation, Dependencies, Volatility
- calculation methods
- measuring calculation time
- Methods for finding and prioritising bottlenecks
- 4 Golden rules for improving performance
- Examples will include:
- Period-to-date sums
- Error handling
- lookups
- comparison of 4 methods for doing a CountUnique: Array formula,
Sumproduct, UDF, additional formulae. (there is a speed improvement factor
of over 500 between the slowest and the fastest of these).

Hope to see lots of you there!

regards
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
www.DecisionModels.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Charles Williams wrote...
- comparison of 4 methods for doing a CountUnique: Array formula,
Sumproduct, UDF, additional formulae. (there is a speed improvement factor
of over 500 between the slowest and the fastest of these).

Won't be there, but I'm curios what the array formula would be. Is it
something like

=COUNT(1/(MATCH(Rng,Rng,0)=ROW($A$1:INDEX($A:$A,ROWS(Rng))) ))

or

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(Rng,Rng))

though the latter can only handle numeric values. You should consider
adding

=COUNTA(UNIQUEVALUES(Rng))

where UNIQUEVALUES is from Longre's MOREFUNC.xll add-in in order to
consider XLL add-in functions as well.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Harlan Grove wrote...
=COUNTA(UNIQUEVALUES(Rng))

where UNIQUEVALUES is from Longre's MOREFUNC.xll add-in in order to
consider XLL add-in functions as well.

That'll teach me to work from memory. Make that MOREFUNC.XLL's
COUNTDIFF function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

my upcoming 12000 word white paper

Will this be available in the public domain? I'd really like to get a copy.

Biff

"Charles Williams" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles Williams

Good idea, I shall try the MOREFUNC thing: I would expect an XLL solution to
be fast.

I have not tried that many different array formulae to see which one wins on
performance, the one in my example is
{=SUM(IF(LEN(A2:A11000)0,1/COUNTIF(A2:A11000,A2:A11000)))}

This array formula is the slowest of the different example solutions.

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
ps.com...
Harlan Grove wrote...
=COUNTA(UNIQUEVALUES(Rng))

where UNIQUEVALUES is from Longre's MOREFUNC.xll add-in in order to
consider XLL add-in functions as well.

That'll teach me to work from memory. Make that MOREFUNC.XLL's
COUNTDIFF function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Charles Williams

Hi Biff,

yes I expect the white paper will be public, but not sure when.

regards
Charles