Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Liliana

Default reference in another workbook related to the name of material

what's wrong in the picture?
I used vlookup (have no idea if it is right, cause I don't know the meaning
of A2, which should be "Lookup_value" The value to search in the first
column of the table array. Lookup_value can be a value or a reference. what
is this mean?????)

Anyway, here-s my formula:
=VLOOKUP(A2,[Book1_old.xls]Sheet1!$C$1:$G$1602,7,FALSE)
,[Book1_old.xls]Sheet1!$C$1:$G$1602 - this is the range area from the other
workbook
7 - the column G from where I want to get the value
Lookup value -?
I want to take the value that correspond to a certain name of material (for
example:"BOLTS") which is somewhere in the A column (the row position is
changing almost daily)!

Does anyone have enough time to help me bring some light in this issue,
please???
I really need it!!!

Thanks,
Liliana

and here's my result:"#N/A"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi Liliana,

do you have the "BOLTS" on the A2 cell of the Worksheet1, just to make sure
that are in the column C of the WS2 the same name

remember the first column of the range where the vlookup will look for must
be the column when you have the A2 (in the eg that you gave us) value.

hope this helps
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Liliana" escreveu:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael

Your problem is your 7, it should be a 5, for is the fifth column of the
array. Your array starts on C wich is 1 and not 3. Therefore, G=5 not 7.
This should correct your lookup