Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim

Default Number format in cells

Hi everyone, and thanks for any help. I can normally find someone on here
that as an answer to my questions.

I am running XP Pro, SP2, and Office Pro 2003.

I have a column for part numbers. The part numbers range from 00-1000
through 99-9999. I have set up a custom number format for the cells of
00-0000, so I don't have to enter the hypen when I key in a number.

The problem is when I enter a number with a leading zero, i.e. 05-3258. If I
key in 053258, the number displays in the cell as 05-3258. However, in the
edit box the number displays as 53258. When I do a search, I have to remember
not to enter the leading zero in the search box, or it won't find the number.

Is there a way to establish a format picture that will display the leading
zero in the edit box, as well as in the cell?

--
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:24:03 -0700, Jim wrote:

Hi everyone, and thanks for any help. I can normally find someone on here
that as an answer to my questions.

I am running XP Pro, SP2, and Office Pro 2003.

I have a column for part numbers. The part numbers range from 00-1000
through 99-9999. I have set up a custom number format for the cells of
00-0000, so I don't have to enter the hypen when I key in a number.

The problem is when I enter a number with a leading zero, i.e. 05-3258. If I
key in 053258, the number displays in the cell as 05-3258. However, in the
edit box the number displays as 53258. When I do a search, I have to remember
not to enter the leading zero in the search box, or it won't find the number.

Is there a way to establish a format picture that will display the leading
zero in the edit box, as well as in the cell?

I don't believe that is possible unless you enter your data as text. That
would, unfortunately, return to you the necessity of entering hyphens (and
leading zeros, for that matter).

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi Jim, is possible format it as a text?

it will solve this problem, but, I am not sure if will cause another

regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Jim" escreveu:

Hi everyone, and thanks for any help. I can normally find someone on here
that as an answer to my questions.

I am running XP Pro, SP2, and Office Pro 2003.

I have a column for part numbers. The part numbers range from 00-1000
through 99-9999. I have set up a custom number format for the cells of
00-0000, so I don't have to enter the hypen when I key in a number.

The problem is when I enter a number with a leading zero, i.e. 05-3258. If I
key in 053258, the number displays in the cell as 05-3258. However, in the
edit box the number displays as 53258. When I do a search, I have to remember
not to enter the leading zero in the search box, or it won't find the number.

Is there a way to establish a format picture that will display the leading
zero in the edit box, as well as in the cell?

--
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim

Thanks Marcelo and Ron.

Yes you're right that the text format would display the leading zero, but
then it requires entering the hyphen each time.

I thought there was some way to construct a picture that would display the
leading zero in the edit window as well as in the cell, but maybe not?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks,
--
Jim