Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Windsong1948

Default Help Need Formula for Calculator

I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added to
column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items are
delivered I want to
simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column for
a year to date total. Please help me if you can.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"Windsong1948" wrote in message
I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added to
column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items are
delivered I want to
simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column
for
a year to date total. Please help me if you can.

In B1 use the formula ==SUM(A$1:A1) and copy down.

If you want column B blank where you haven't yet put an entry in column A,
you could use
=IF(A1="","",SUM(A$1:A1))
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Windsong1948

Not exactly what I need - Example: Let's say I only have 1 row - Column A1
has ( 5 ) & Column B1 has ( 5 ) - I enter into A1 ( 3 ) and column B1
then adds it into what is already there and it then becomes ( 8 ) - I again
enter into A1 ( 6 ) and column B1 adds it it into what is already there and
it becomes ( 14 ) like a calculator.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

"Windsong1948" wrote in message
I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added to
column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items are
delivered I want to
simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column
for
a year to date total. Please help me if you can.

In B1 use the formula ==SUM(A$1:A1) and copy down.

If you want column B blank where you haven't yet put an entry in column A,
you could use
=IF(A1="","",SUM(A$1:A1))
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"David Biddulph" wrote:

"Windsong1948" wrote in message
I need to enter into column 1 a number and have it automatically added
column 2 like a calculator. I have a long list of items and as items
are
delivered I want to
simply enter the qty and have it automatically added to the next column
for
a year to date total. Please help me if you can.

In B1 use the formula ==SUM(A$1:A1) and copy down.

If you want column B blank where you haven't yet put an entry in column
A,
you could use
=IF(A1="","",SUM(A$1:A1))
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"David Biddulph" wrote:

[...]

To add to itself would be a circular reference, and these are to be avoided
like the plague.
--
David Biddulph