Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miriam

Default How do I copy columns between worksheets if the columns don't matc

I have 2 worksheets in which I have to copy one column of cells from one to
the other. The problem is that the "main" worksheet lists nearly 3,500
clients and I have to copy numbers into the "main" worksheet on weekly basis
from another worksheet that lists only about 1,100 of those 3,500 clients.
Both client lists are in alphabetical order, but I obviously cannot just copy
one column into the other, because then the numbers won't be matching the
correct clients.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi Miriam, do you need to copy or is possible to do it by a vlookup function?

regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Miriam" escreveu:

I have 2 worksheets in which I have to copy one column of cells from one to
the other. The problem is that the "main" worksheet lists nearly 3,500
clients and I have to copy numbers into the "main" worksheet on weekly basis
from another worksheet that lists only about 1,100 of those 3,500 clients.
Both client lists are in alphabetical order, but I obviously cannot just copy
one column into the other, because then the numbers won't be matching the
correct clients.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miriam

The problem I am having is that none of my columns are the same

"Marcelo" wrote:

sorry, imagine that you have a worksheet like this:

COL A B C
Name ID status
Miriam 123456 1
John 145787 2
Mary 156578 4

in another worsheet you need to the 3rd column information, the A column as
the same.

COL A B
Name Status
Miriam =vlookup(a2;sheet1!A2:C3,3.0)
John
Mary

it will return 1 on b2

Note the VLOOKUP found the a2(Miriam) on the range A2:C3 on the Sheet 1, and
return the 3rd column.

hope this helps
regards
Marcelo

"Marcelo" wrote:

so, why not to copy the all column and get the other data with vlookup?

"Miriam" escreveu:

whatever will work

"Miriam" escreveu:

I have 2 worksheets in which I have to copy one column of cells from one to
the other. The problem is that the "main" worksheet lists nearly 3,500
clients and I have to copy numbers into the "main" worksheet on weekly basis
from another worksheet that lists only about 1,100 of those 3,500 clients.
Both client lists are in alphabetical order, but I obviously cannot just copy
one column into the other, because then the numbers won't be matching the
correct clients.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Miriam, try to look on this web page some tips regarding vlookup and other
functions

http://www.bettersolutions.com/excel...O911818331.htm

regards

"Marcelo" wrote:

so, why not to copy the all column and get the other data with vlookup?

"Miriam" escreveu:

whatever will work

"Miriam" escreveu:

I have 2 worksheets in which I have to copy one column of cells from one to
the other. The problem is that the "main" worksheet lists nearly 3,500
clients and I have to copy numbers into the "main" worksheet on weekly basis
from another worksheet that lists only about 1,100 of those 3,500 clients.
Both client lists are in alphabetical order, but I obviously cannot just copy
one column into the other, because then the numbers won't be matching the
correct clients.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miriam

If you don't mind giving me a few more minutes of your time, I would like to
give you an example of the problem;

This is worksheet 1 (this is a master list of Agents and Codes):

A B C
AGENT'S NAME CODE AMOUNT DUE

1201 FINANCIAL 10541-N $-
1ST GLOBAL INSUR. SERVICES 640 $-
1ST PROFESSIONAL 396 $-

This is Worksheet 2 ( this is updated weekly with amounts due from Agents):

Agents Name code Current Amount Due
1201 FINANCIAL& 10541- $216.24
1ST GLOBAL 640 $3.33
A. K. J. LTD. 5506 $28.56

I need Column C from Worksheet 2 to merge with Column C in Worksheet 1, with
the correct dollars going with the correct agents. Otherwise, the dollars
have to be manually input every week.

Thanks

"Marcelo" wrote:

so, why not to copy the all column and get the other data with vlookup?

"Miriam" escreveu:

whatever will work

"Miriam" escreveu:

I have 2 worksheets in which I have to copy one column of cells from one to
the other. The problem is that the "main" worksheet lists nearly 3,500
clients and I have to copy numbers into the "main" worksheet on weekly basis
from another worksheet that lists only about 1,100 of those 3,500 clients.
Both client lists are in alphabetical order, but I obviously cannot just copy
one column into the other, because then the numbers won't be matching the
correct clients.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

ok try to put on the column C from the WS 1 this formula

=Vlookup(a3,worksheet2!$a$1:$c100,3,0)

Assuming that your data on the ws 2 is on range a1:c100, excel will in a
vertical order look for the name of agent that is on A3, when it found return
the value of the 3rd collum, or $216.24 in the case of 1201 Financial&

Miriam Hope this helps
regards from Brazil,
Marcelo

"Marcelo" wrote:

so, why not to copy the all column and get the other data with vlookup?

"Miriam" escreveu:

whatever will work

"Miriam" escreveu:

I have 2 worksheets in which I have to copy one column of cells from one to
the other. The problem is that the "main" worksheet lists nearly 3,500
clients and I have to copy numbers into the "main" worksheet on weekly basis
from another worksheet that lists only about 1,100 of those 3,500 clients.
Both client lists are in alphabetical order, but I obviously cannot just copy
one column into the other, because then the numbers won't be matching the
correct clients.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miriam

Hi, we still have not figured it out. Is there any way I can e-mail you the
spreadsheets and you can take a look at them?

Thanks

"Marcelo" wrote:

so, why not to copy the all column and get the other data with vlookup?

"Miriam" escreveu:

whatever will work