Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PE

Default Evaluting 2 cells, adding one to largest for another cell.

I am struggling with getting this to work correctly.

If cell C40 and there is no number in cell D5 then I want the number
automatically put in C5 to be C4+1, but if D5 also has a number in it then I
want the number in C5 to be D4+1.

Example:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 0
Cell C5
556
But if:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 556
Cell C5
557

I don't know why I am having such a problem with this it seems like it
should be a simple task, but can't get it to work correctly.
Thanks,
PE
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj

try in C5
=if(isnumber(d5),d5+1, if (C40,C4+1,"otherwise"))

"PE" wrote:

I am struggling with getting this to work correctly.

If cell C40 and there is no number in cell D5 then I want the number
automatically put in C5 to be C4+1, but if D5 also has a number in it then I
want the number in C5 to be D4+1.

Example:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 0
Cell C5
556
But if:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 556
Cell C5
557

I don't know why I am having such a problem with this it seems like it
should be a simple task, but can't get it to work correctly.
Thanks,
PE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hy PE,

I assuming that the right column on your samble is D.

so, try

=IF(D4=0,(C4+1),(D4+1))

Hope this helps
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"PE" escreveu:

I am struggling with getting this to work correctly.

If cell C40 and there is no number in cell D5 then I want the number
automatically put in C5 to be C4+1, but if D5 also has a number in it then I
want the number in C5 to be D4+1.

Example:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 0
Cell C5
556
But if:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 556
Cell C5
557

I don't know why I am having such a problem with this it seems like it
should be a simple task, but can't get it to work correctly.
Thanks,
PE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PE

Hi Marcelo,
Yes you are correct the Cells on the right should have been D and you
formula worked great a little simplier then the previous one.
Thank you,
PE

"PE" escreveu:

I am struggling with getting this to work correctly.

If cell C40 and there is no number in cell D5 then I want the number
automatically put in C5 to be C4+1, but if D5 also has a number in it then I
want the number in C5 to be D4+1.

Example:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 0
Cell C5
556
But if:
Cell C4 Cell C5
555 556
Cell C5
557

I don't know why I am having such a problem with this it seems like it
should be a simple task, but can't get it to work correctly.
Thanks,
PE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PE

Hey Marcelo,
Is there a way that if cell C4 and C5 were both zero that it wouldn't change
C5 until the user put a number in that cell?
PE