Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toni Bennett

Default VLOOKUP specific data for month required via dropdown list

I may have already posted this but I couldn't find my question!! Anyway, I
have created a drop down list of months in order to capture monthly
accounting data. March is the 2nd month in my accounting year and is located
in column 2 of my table.

I then created the following VLOOKUP formula which gets the data I want.

=VLOOKUP('Money & Budgets'!D96,'Money & Budgets'!$D$95:$R$138,3,FALSE)

Question. How should I write the formula so that if I change the drop down
list to April the VLOOKUP formula automatically changes to look in column 4
for the data instead of column 3. May should select column 5, etc.

I have been at this for hours, days and nights and just can't get my head
around it.

Please help. Thanks Toni
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

Toni --

I did something like that before by 'nesting' VLOOKUP tables. That is, I
created a table that linked the month name to the month number, then used
that to create the column number reference (in your example, I think it's the
'3'?).

Won't repeat it here unless I haven't totally confused you enough...

HTH

"Toni Bennett" wrote:

I may have already posted this but I couldn't find my question!! Anyway, I
have created a drop down list of months in order to capture monthly
accounting data. March is the 2nd month in my accounting year and is located
in column 2 of my table.

I then created the following VLOOKUP formula which gets the data I want.

=VLOOKUP('Money & Budgets'!D96,'Money & Budgets'!$D$95:$R$138,3,FALSE)

Question. How should I write the formula so that if I change the drop down
list to April the VLOOKUP formula automatically changes to look in column 4
for the data instead of column 3. May should select column 5, etc.

I have been at this for hours, days and nights and just can't get my head
around it.

Please help. Thanks Toni

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toni Bennett

Hi there

My month's are in F95:Q95 on a worksheet called Money & Budgets column R is
used for Year To Date figures.

My drop down box with the month's of the year in is located in cell B1 on a
new worksheet within the same workbook.

Regards

Toni fae Glasgow

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Are your column headers the names of the months?

=VLOOKUP(D96,D95:R138,MATCH(A1,D1:R1,0),0)

Whe

A1 = drop down = some month
D1:R1 = column headers = Mar, Apr, May, Jun, etc

Biff

"Toni Bennett" <Toni wrote in message
I may have already posted this but I couldn't find my question!! Anyway, I
have created a drop down list of months in order to capture monthly
accounting data. March is the 2nd month in my accounting year and is
located
in column 2 of my table.

I then created the following VLOOKUP formula which gets the data I want.

=VLOOKUP('Money & Budgets'!D96,'Money & Budgets'!$D$95:$R$138,3,FALSE)

Question. How should I write the formula so that if I change the drop
down
list to April the VLOOKUP formula automatically changes to look in column
4
for the data instead of column 3. May should select column 5, etc.

I have been at this for hours, days and nights and just can't get my head
around it.

Please help. Thanks Toni

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toni Bennett

Thanks for your response. You're on the same track as me. Where I have put
3,FALSE in the original formula I think I need to type something like
MONTH(F$95&"-0")-1,0 instead but I just can't get it right! I have done it
in a previous job. I write F$95 because my months are located F95:Q95 with
column R being used for Year to Date figures.
--
Toni fae Glasgow