Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rachael

Default "Last Saved" date in Excel 2000

Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Function DocProps(prop As String)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo err_value
DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocument*Properties _
(prop)
Exit Function
err_value:
DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Function

and enter in a cell such as
=DocProps ("last author")
or
=DocProps ("last save time")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rachael

Perfect, thanks.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Function DocProps(prop As String)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo err_value
DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentĀ*Properties _
(prop)
Exit Function
err_value:
DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Function

and enter in a cell such as
=DocProps ("last author")
or
=DocProps ("last save time")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Hi Bob........this looks cool, and something I could use, but I can't seem to
make it work in XL97. Is there some adjustment that needs to be made to
accomodate 97?

Tks,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Chuck,

I just pasted it into 97 and noticed there was an extra hyphen in there that
you don't see in the post (I think this is caused by Google since it
changed). Removing that and it worked.

Try this version

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Function DocProps(prop As String)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo err_value
DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties _
(prop)
Exit Function
err_value:
DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Function

looks the same, but shouldn't have the hyphen.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the

date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Thanks Bob, that did the trick.

FWIW I've also found that several of the list of BuiltInDocumentProperties
don't work in XL97. Someone said something about 97 not automatically
updating those items, and that they could be "forced", somehow, but I don't
remember how.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the

date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Chuck,

I think it is probably more likely that some of them are just not
applicable. BuiltinDocumentProperties is an Office-wide function, and so it
includes stuff like SlideNumber (which is clearly just Powerpoint). Not all
apps maintain all properties.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with

the
date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Bob:

Could you elaborate on this a little. I tried pasting =DocProps in one of
my cells and I get a ?NAME error. Please help....

Thanks,

Kevin

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the

date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Bob......
I just had occasion to put this in actual service for the docprop "Last
Save Time". Since the original post I've also had Excel XP put on this
machine. Although the "Author" and "Last Author" and "Company" and "Creation
Date" docprops work fine in both 97SR2 and XP, I find that the "Last Save
Time" works in my XP but not in my 97SR2...........any thoughts?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with

the
date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kevin

What did you do with Bob's code?

You must copy/paste it to a general module in your workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the UDF code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to Excel window.

Enter the formula as shown below.

'=DOCPROPS("last author")
'or
'=DOCPROPS("last save time")
'or
'DOCPROPS("creation date")

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

'-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the

date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, Gord!

I got it to work! I wasn't familiar with modules - Thanks again for your
help!

Kevin

"Rachael" wrote in message
Is there a way to automatically update a cell in Excel 2000 with the
date
that the file was last saved?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions